Voting Chart

Total votes : 6

Which version of Redhat would you install?

•  
    Version 8
  •  
    Version 9

Redhat 8 or Redhat 9?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just burned a bunch of discs for Redhat. I have both versions 8 and 9. This will be my first install of anything Linux. Which version would you install if you were a newbie at Linux? I'm only including those two in the poll since those are the only versions I have at the moment. I know there's a lot of "flavors" out there, but for now, I'd just like to play with either of these.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xer0
  • xer0
  • Loc: necro paradise

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well for starters I would suggest using Mandrake, if you wanna play and and get used to Linux. RedHat is very user friendly too so anyone that wants to try it out should be fine. I just find RedHat more advanced than Mandrake, but thats just me. As a matter of fact I am waiting for my RedHat 9.0 cds's which I ordered a few days ago and the only experience I've had with Linux is using shell accounts and using it at my university so Im not a linux guru *yet* :twisted: . Can't wait to have it!
But yeah, noone needs to be a guru to use Linux, it's pretty simple. Some things are very complicated but thats more on the advanced side.

Good Luck!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

To save anyone else the time of voting, I installed version 9 by default (I couldn't get my "burn" on version 8 to boot from CD even though it passed the checksum test. I'm a total newbie on Linux but not at all unfamiliar with installing various OS's.

My problem was that I typically use System Commander 7 for multi-boot and partitioning and installing new OS's, but I ran into a snag using it to install Redhat (either version) in that I could not find a means to create an install diskette. I tried Windows 2003 and Windows 98se to read the Readhat disks and extract the boot.img files to transfer them to a floppy, but neither systems recognized the CD (followed the instructions on the redhat home page, but no joy).

Also, I could not get my "burn" of version 8 to boot from CD even though I changed my BIOS to make sure CD-ROM was 1st boot device. Version 9 did boot from CD, so I just followed the auto setup stuff and installed it just fine.

The only problem I have now is that the ethO config for my IP "failed" and, considering this is my first run at Linux, I'm not sure how to configure things to connect to the internet with Linux.

I'm using a Netgear card and Red Hat recognized the card. I'm using a Seimens router with DHCP active. Router IP is the standard 192.168.255.255 and I connect to Broadband (Comcast) where the router gets the real IP from their DHCP server.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure the router's IP is 192.168.255.255 ? I believe that is the broadcast address for your network, or one of your networks. My two routers have an IP of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.129 respectively because I have the subnet mask set at 255.255.255.128 which creates two networks, and each router has their own network under them.

If I only had one network my router's IP would be 192.168.1.1 because I would have the subnet mask set at 255.255.255.0 which would create 1 network and like 253 host addresses. 192.168.1.0 would be the network, 192.168.1.1 would be the router, and 192.168.1.255 would be the broadcast address.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was incorrect. I understand what you are saying. I was quoting that from memory rather than looking it up. The actual router IP is 192.168.254.254 (factory setting)

In my Windows domain it is my default gateway. Since Linux is installed on the same machine as my Windows Server, my domain is out of the picture when I'm running Linux. The router is how I'm connected to my cable modem.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revision:
When checking the router IP, I remembered that I had DHCP turned off on the router so I wouldn't get conflicts with my Windows Domain server. Then I figured out how to set up the Primary and Secondary DNS in the Linux system settings and it worked like a charm.

It feels kinda weird to be using an OS that isn't Windows.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts