is redhat9 still free?

• Lincoln
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lincoln

Post 3+ Months Ago

just want to say hi to everyone...and have one quick question..

is redhat9 still free? if so can someone give me a direct link to the dl because i cant find it anywhere and ive been searching for 2 hrs now...

thx and cya around

btw..im brand new to linux and want to give it a try :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

//Move to Linux forum
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Red Hat has announced the End Of Life for their free product. I consider it a dark day... You can probably find the ISO out there somewhere, if you want them, but Red Hat doesn't give support for free any more so you won't get patches or updates. I would suggest looking into any number of other distrubutions... Sourceforge might be a good place to start.
.c
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.linuxiso.org/

:D

S
  • Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually if I understand it correctly redhat is no longer free but they have 2 versions out there. They have combined with fedora and that is their free version and can be downloaded from their web site. If you buy the redhat version you do get updates and support but you dont have to go that way. You can download fedora for free still. I myself use suse linux and personally like it much better but the god thing about linux we all have our favorite flavor.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can still get the rh9 iso from the red hat website by anonymous ftp. I do not know if this is an oversight on their part or if they still do distribute for free but don't support anymore. I ftp'd it a couple of months ago.

You have to hunt around a bit but it is there and there are links to it.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
you can still get the rh9 iso from the red hat website by anonymous ftp. I do not know if this is an oversight on their part or if they still do distribute for free but don't support anymore. I ftp'd it a couple of months ago.

You have to hunt around a bit but it is there and there are links to it.

The problem is, it's not supported anymore -- is it? When I say support of course, I mean code drops. (bug fixes, sec updates, etc. et al).
I thought all of that switched to the Fedora Project? We recently had those RedHat guys come in and gives up the pep talk -- we were actually deciding between RH enterprise and Suse Enterprise (SLES); we went with SLES.
Personally, the only linux I would consider is Gentoo -- mainly because it emulates a lot of the things I like about FreeBSD.

Still, you may want to look into other options as well. Not to sound like a broken record, but have you investigated FreeBSD?
http://www.freebsd.org
:)

Cheers.
  • redhawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are several different distros as well, if youre a newb then check out MDK (Mandrake) thats the system I learned on, and I still use it.

If you dare... Try out Gentoo or Slack, the only problem here os that they do not support GUI installs. Meaning that installing it is like using a DOS prompt. Have fun and be safe! :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

redhawk wrote:
If you dare... Try out Gentoo or Slack, the only problem here os that they do not support GUI installs. Meaning that installing it is like using a DOS prompt. Have fun and be safe! :)

DOS ?! Ack! Unix CLI is a heck of a lot more useful than that bastardization called DOS. :)

When you are more involved in the actual install process, you learn more... IMHO.

Cheers.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
When you are more involved in the actual install process, you learn more... IMHO.

Sure, but using a command line assumes a body of knowedge that only a small portion of computer user's actually posses. Looking at installation instructions with a bunch of cryptic commands you have to type is much more daunting than, insert disk, follow on screen instructions.

What that means is, an OS will NEVER be widely accepted without a GUI. Period.

.c
  • andrushok
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

RedHat 9 is not free. Try 7.1 :lol: You can upgrade kernel for newest version. I thing it is no problem to download RH9 from ftp.redhat.com. Install and enjoy. Howevere no support in this case (of course, if you are smart, you can edit any sources, recompile them and fix any problem).
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

andrushok wrote:
RedHat 9 is not free. Try 7.1 :lol: You can upgrade kernel for newest version. I thing it is no problem to download RH9 from ftp.redhat.com. Install and enjoy. Howevere no support in this case (of course, if you are smart, you can edit any sources, recompile them and fix any problem).

I don't think "smart" is the way to put it. I consider myself "smart" but I wouldn't know how to "fix" something in Linux source if my life depended on it. (ok... if my life depended on it, I could damn sure figure it out... cause I'm 'smart' but you know what I mean). The truth is, I don't really have the time or inclination to do that, and in fact, most people don't. Maybe I should start a poll to see how many people here have actually modifed OS source code to fix problems they've found, and were successful (not just to see what happens).

I bet it wouldn't be very many, and I think Ozzu has some extremely intelligent and knowedgeable folks...

.c
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:

Sure, but using a command line assumes a body of knowedge that only a small portion of computer user's actually posses. Looking at installation instructions with a bunch of cryptic commands you have to type is much more daunting than, insert disk, follow on screen instructions.

What that means is, an OS will NEVER be widely accepted without a GUI. Period.

.c

Really? Hmmm, none of the OS's we use currently is installed via GUI -- bit hard to do when you have to push via network install to over 500 machines.
We've come to accept them pretty well where I work. ;)
Besides the fact that X, by it's nature decreases system security through various and sundry options.
We won't even go into the ramifications of Windows, with specific regard to security. ;)

Now, if you are specifically speaking to desktop installs, you may very well be right... especially where the general computing individual in concerned. However, for server installs, GUI is most assuredly NOT the way to go.

Cheers.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I say widely accepted, I don't mean by datacenter administrators, or hard-core programmers, etc, or even people buying webhosting.

Linux and Unix variants are already quite widley accepted amongst that group. I mean general public consumption. Home users, and even more-or-less non-technical businesses.

.c
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

get fedora core 2, its free and its the best distro out there IMO, at least for linux n00bs like me.
http://fedora.redhat.com/

One more thing, I have recompiled linux kernels before, its not that difficult. You use a nice little GUI app to select what you want in your kernel, click ok, then open up a console and compile. When its done you copy your new kernel into /boot, and reboot. It's just about the only thing you actually need to reboot for on linux.

One more thing (i know I said that above), good as linux is, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot clown pole unless it had a GUI and a simple install, because it is simpler are faster from my point of view (BTW gnome runs a whole lot faster than Windows ever did)
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you like Red Hat, go with fedora, Fedora is like a "beta" version of the next Enterprise. They load whatever they can on to fedora, see what works, what's buggy, etc. then for all the really stable stuff they put in the Enterprise version.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love RedHat 9 really smooth. I had gotten my copy from linuxiso.org when it first came out. It didn’t take long to figure out either.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

redhat 9 has a 2.4 kernel, its really old. I am pretty sure that it is vulnerable of that SSH hack that trinity used in matrix reloaded.

So make sure you keep sshd up to date.
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh.. is that what that hack was?
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, she actually used a real hacking tool, nmap, to port scan the server. She didn't use a real hack though.

There are currently 2 hacks currently in circulation that will exploit that vulnerability. Neither of them is called "sshnuke".

still, same vulnerability.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

So far I have only used RH, it is pretty nice. But now for my new comp, i want to try a different one to see what is better. It would be really nice to have some kind of comparison chart for all the popular ones. Anybody has some idea?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trinity used nmap to a 10. address on port 22 -- ssh port.

The exploit she used was 'sshnuke' -- it's an old one.

Cheers.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, the article I read said there was no such thing as sshnuke and that the movie companies made that bit up.

Doing a google search for sshnuke gives links to the matrix article and a whole lot of other stuff but no exploits
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
no, the article I read said there was no such thing as sshnuke and that the movie companies made that bit up.

Doing a google search for sshnuke gives links to the matrix article and a whole lot of other stuff but no exploits

The exploit she used was real, it's the sshh v1 CRC 32 exploit from circa 2001. Some machines are still vulnerable to this exploit. The tool, which may or may not have been fictional, (in name only) at the time is real now. :) Someone wrote some perl, called it sshnuke, which does indeed exploit the vulnerability previously mentioned, now exists.

So what I meant to say, the exploit she made use of, was indeed real, the wrapper at the time the movie was released, was not.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts