Reinstalling GRUB

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wiped my hard disk on my "main" PC so that I could put fedora on here and use it instead of windows.

I put fedora ona nd created a 30GB parition where I planned to put WinXP for when I needed it.

I installed WinXP today and it has taken over the MBR. I can't figure out how to set the MBR to load up GRUB again. I have the fedora install disks but, other than reinstalling fedora on top of itself, nothing I do will put GRUB back.

By the way, I have a SATA hard disk that is set up in the bios to appear as an IDE device. Windows detects it as ide primary master and linux detects it as /dev/sda

I'm pulling my hair out over this. Any ideas?

//edit: I reinstalled fedora. Don't worry about it
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

well for future reference always create a boot floppy. This will give you a backdoor into the OS no matter the bootloader. Once in Linux reinstalling grub or tweaking it is no big deal.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

one problem with that. My PC don't have no floppy drive.
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if fedora has one, but suse cd1 can also be used to repair the grub installation. I suppose you could also use a knoppix disk to boot from and then repair and reinstall grub.
  • scr3am
  • scr3am
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

You have to boot from the first cd of fedora, in rescue mode.
If you'r in the prompt, do the following:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install <devive> (/dev/hda)
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think u have a pblm with ur MBR... u try to update ur boot loader... while doin that just update ur kernal also,otherwise it will show a error mgs as no kernal found.
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think u have a pblm with ur MBR... u try to update ur boot loader... while doin that just update ur kernal also,otherwise it will show a error mgs as no kernal found.
  • Nicole
  • Nicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D HI buddy ; about your problem i think that you can fix it easily with a Guindos cd Of course i you have one!!?
i recommend to you that upgrade your grub , but i f you want to just fix the problem , well delete your MBR and create a newone !!!! jeje

the easy is the short one:

Enter your GUIN cd rom and the setup screen select repair (R)
- use the FIXMBR command , tell yes to que question
- use the FIXBOOT commmand as writed here
"FIXBOOT useBIOSsettings" or something like that im not sure
i think that FIXBOOT /? will help
I think that is the easy way....NOw only insert your fedora cd and install a new GRUB ........

PD: The long version is a complete GRUB Manual .......
  • seandenney
  • Born
  • Born
  • seandenney
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's a GUIN cd ? I have the same problem. Thanks in advance
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

to install both windows and unix on the same harddisk, you have to install windows first and then the unix os or else your boot loader will never work
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, Windows will always steal the MBR -- load it first, then alternate OS's. ;)

Cheers.
  • seandenney
  • Born
  • Born
  • seandenney
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, So I am a pre-beginner uber-newbie to the hardware/OS stuff. I am just a software developer. My issue is with a Linux-only install. I had no problem installing Linux(Fedora core 2) but am completely unable to boot without the Linux Install cd. The BIOS starts and as far as I can tell, it finds my hard drive. I manually discovered it in the BIOS, but after tha bios stuff I keep getting the message saying to install boot disk and hit enter. I was thinking based on reading about the boot sequence, that the boot loader is not working. I do a rescue install from the cd and then

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install <devive> (/dev/hda)

It says it works and returns that I have f(hda) or 0 I can't remember. and H(hd0) or a. Anyway, it seems to be happy. Then I switch the BIOS to boot from C: first and I get the same error that it can't find what to boot - "insert system disk and hit enter" Also, If I try to use the upgrade install to reinstall bootloader, it finishes and says that no core was upgraded so the bootloader will not be changed.

Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts