relatively new to Linux and need help w/ ethernet driver

• magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI
  • Loc: Inside my Head

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello i just installed Fedora Core 1 (kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp) onto an Intel Xeon desktop. my problem is that this distro of linux did not install the driver for the ethernet card. i did an 'lspci' and saw that linux recognized the card as an 'unknown device.' The ethernet card came with the Dell Xeon desktop (Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network connection).

the kind of help that ive recieved is as follows:
-build and run tulip: i have no idea how to build it

-download the driver: can download it without the card actually working, and even then i wouldn't know how to install it.

Since i am relatively new to linux, i was wondering if there's anyone out there who had the same problem, and can help me out.=) Thanks!

--MAGNUMPI
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

to build the driver you need to download and extract the files (theres a 99.99% chance they will be archived in some file type such as .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, but may be .zip or .rar). but it all depends on what comes out of the package. it may be precompiled and then have a script to install it, however unlikely, but to build after you extract the files it should create a folder. inside this folder, you should find a file called "configure" or "make". if there is a file called "configure", open a terminal, navigate to the folder (i.e. cd /home/bob/download/directory/extracted_folder ) and then enter
Code: [ Select ]
./configure

a bunch of stuff should happens, hope to death you get no errors. if no errors, go on. if you do get errors, try to resolve them :)

make

again, a bunch of stuff will happen and you are still hoping you get no errors.

su
<enter root password> (note: the cursor doesn't move as you type it, but you are really typing ;))
make install

and hopefully this installs and returns no errors.
  1. ./configure
  2. a bunch of stuff should happens, hope to death you get no errors. if no errors, go on. if you do get errors, try to resolve them :)
  3. make
  4. again, a bunch of stuff will happen and you are still hoping you get no errors.
  5. su
  6. <enter root password> (note: the cursor doesn't move as you type it, but you are really typing ;))
  7. make install
  8. and hopefully this installs and returns no errors.

hope this helps :) ask more questions if whenever any arise.
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

wait...so i download this file? i cant without the ethernet workin on linux. Did I misunderstand something? ill try looking in some folders for some drivers or make files in the meantime.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

My question would be, why did yo unot grab a fresh copy of the latest iso? I would have gone with a much more recent version, though I have absolutely no idea why a generic kernel build or even the standard set of LKM's did not already have an old Intel Pro 100 card driver in the build.

My FreeBSD install (5.4) had a ton of drivers built in, including the Intel Pro 100 family.
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i DLed it from the Fedora site i assumed it was the newest iso. My school runs fedora core 3 and the site only provided fedora core 1. oh well, at least I'm learning something from these forums. Thanks for the help everyone, keep them suggestions coming!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

wait another 3 days, then go and download Fedora Core 4 ^_^ *is excited*

where did you download the ISO's?
  • magnumPI
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • magnumPI

Post 3+ Months Ago

good news: installed a more recent version of fedora...detected ethernet card just fine

thanks for the help everyone!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome, what version?

according to the fedora website, evidently FC4 will be released june 13.
Quote:
Well, those of you who've been down that road before won't be surprised to hear that the release date for Fedora Core 4 has been slipped out a week - it's now scheduled for Monday June 13, not Monday June 6.

I'm not quite sure yet what the reason is. Rumor has it that the slip involves legal wrangling over the name of the release.
http://www.fedorazine.com/content/view/371/2/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts