Remmendations for web design/development applications

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to be doing some web design/development pretty soon, and I've recently switched over to Fedora Core 6 as my primary development platform. I'm not new to Fedora, but I *am* new to the applications and tools that it comes with pertaining to web design and development. (i.e. Quanta, etc), since I've always done my web work on a Mac or Windows PC.

What kinds of applications have people had good experiences with, what are some that you would recommend, and why?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i find that Bluefish is a good html/php editor. i find it easy to use and that it has a comfortable interface. that and gedit are pretty much the only ones i used, and i'll normally only use gedit if i just need to make a quick edit on something. they both have tabs for each open document. bluefish has a "memory" of previously opened files/dirs to make it easy to get to those, and it has text formatting/highlighting for tags. i believe gedit does too, but gedit is more of like a multipurpose enhanced notepad lol.
if you have a license for dreamweaver, you can install that with wine but theres nothing wrong with the open source alternatives.

are you looking to do any flash development or strictly html/scripting?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It will be strictly html and php. I installed Bluefish; it seems to serve the same purpose as Quanta. Do either of these support WYSIWYG editing? At first glance they appear to only be web text editors. I use KDE as my window manager and I've taken a liking to Kate for PHP and other scripting. Most of the work won't be real complicated, so it doesn't seem worth the trouble to run Dreamweaver via Wine, not to mention that I don't have the money to purchase it.

I suppose I'm more or less looking for a basic equivalent of Dreamweaver, something with WYSIWYG html editing. I can (and probably will) use a separate editor for scripting.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm thinking nvu is what you're looking for :]
give it a try and see how you like it. it does have the wysiwyg feature and i believe they actually do make it for linux & windows & mac..
it should be available through yum, too
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll take a look. Looking at screenshots it seems to be pretty decent, I just hope it's not too "dumbed down" for people with no web experience, haha.

It isn't available through yum (at least with the repos I'm using) so I'll download and install it a little later. Way too lazy right now. And hungry. Perhaps I'll grab a sandwich instead.

Thanks for your help!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Thanks, I'll take a look. Looking at screenshots it seems to be pretty decent, I just hope it's not too "dumbed down" for people with no web experience, haha.

It isn't available through yum (at least with the repos I'm using) so I'll download and install it a little later. Way too lazy right now. And hungry. Perhaps I'll grab a sandwich instead.

Thanks for your help!

i believe this forum post would be beneficial to you..
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed. Thanks.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Indeed. Thanks.

no problemo :]
any other questions, feel free to inquire..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts