• Mordak5
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mordak5
  • Loc: Carnoustie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all hope you can help
I am looking to connect my linux box into a windows 2003 server

fed up having to upgrade windows all the time. but the folks that provide us our ASP solution require us to log on using windows W2K using a RDP. I was hoping that I could get a linux version to logon with, but not having any luck.

I have just started using Linux at home so am not really up on it yet.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

take a look at this: rdesktop
or grdesktop

the above packages should be installable through your system package manager. what distribution of linux are you using?
  • Mordak5
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mordak5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redhat 9
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

eww. why? lol you should upgrade to fedora core 6.. http://www.fedoraproject.org is where you can download it.
you'll find a lot more support for the distro if you do upgrade.
  • Mordak5
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mordak5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redhat seemed to be ok when I bought the disks, but I must say I am finding it hard going, not as easy to use as windows. There doesnet seem to be any software you can just get. you have to be a master programer and install everything by scratch. I can see why a lot of people are put off by it> I am lucky enought to have 2 pcs so I can play around with Linux and if its not working very well its not the end of the world, but for anyone with only 1 PC it would not be worth the hassle compiared to just loading up windows and away you go!.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well considering the free redhat os is practically 3 years old and theres a new version of the Fedora Core distro released once every 6 months, i think whats killing it for you is more its age rather than its actual useability. with each new version of the distro they come out with, things get easier and more user friendly. so the problems you're experiencing with the installation of software is more the age of your distro rather than "linux being hard".
  • Mordak5
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mordak5

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will have to download a new version and burn it. then reinstall if thats the case.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup, thats usually how it goes. lol
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
towards the top of the page are download links. and there you'll find the newest version if you wanted to stick with a distro sponsored by redhat.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts