Remote Desktop not able to connect

• Jagadeshan
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jagadeshan
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am using windows xp professional sp2 and fedora 7 both machine is connected both is working fine but i am not able to connect Remote desktop from XP to Fedora7 i am disable windows firewall and enable remote desktop option

how to enable to remote desktop option in fedora 7

show error

The Client could not connect to the remote computer

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections it is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.

Please try connecting again later,If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator

it showing in windows xp
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remote Desktop is from XP to XP, not XP to Fedora. To connect to Fedora you have to use FTP or SSH depending on what you want to do.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can also use tightvnc. in fedora you'd hop into the terminal with root privileges and just go with a yum install tightvnc
and it should install it for you. you may need vnc-server (something to that effect)..you could also just open up the graphical package manager and search vnc.
then you can go to the website for tightvnc and download the version for windows xp. there may be a small amount of configuration? but it should work after that
  • Jagadeshan
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jagadeshan
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am was xp to fedora 7 but not able to connect i using inbuild xp remote desktop connection gave ip address and then connect show the error i am not use ssh and ftp

then and I Tried to VNC Viewer software connect from XP to Fedora

show error unable to connect to host: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (10065)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to understand what I'm saying. You are trying to use software made for Windows on Fedora. It won't work.

To move files from one to the other, use FTP. To edit and view files use SSH. I do that all the time between XP and FreeBSD.
  • eggi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eggi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

If you want to export your Fedora explay to XP, you'll need an X-Windows program for XP. Start that up and then, on the Fedora box, do:

xhost +
export DISPLAY="10.0.0.1:0.0" <--- pseudo

for the DISPLAY variable, you would need to set that to the ip:window.subwindow of your XP server, so if you're XP server was 192.168.0.10 you would type:

export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0.0

at the simplest and then execute programs from your fedora box (like xdm, etc, if you want to bring up a desktop manager) and they should be displayed on your XP box.

Best wishes,

Mike
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Try to understand what I'm saying. You are trying to use software made for Windows on Fedora. It won't work.
actually wine runs software made for windows pretty well, and you can install wine quite easily in fedora :P although i haven't heard of anyone using RDC in wine, such a general statement is going to implant false beliefs into the OP

Don2007 wrote:
To move files from one to the other, use FTP. To edit and view files use SSH. I do that all the time between XP and FreeBSD.
just because you do it all the time, it doesn't mean thats the best solution for everyone. it appears he wants something visual similar to RDC
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

He didn't say anything about visual. If he had said that, I never would have mentioned FTP and SSH.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats remote desktop?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remote desktop is visual, but it is a windows->windows thing. You'll probably have to go with a third party software to go across operating systems.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Remote desktop is visual, but it is a windows->windows thing. You'll probably have to go with a third party software to go across operating systems.

for example, vnc

like i said like 5 posts ago.

^_^
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, like he said 5 posts ago.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts