Remote Management

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

So there are different ways to manage your Linux box from a remote location VNC one problem is that vnc doesn't start up upon boot on fedora and many other versions I can find advice on ways to make it start up upon boot but every source i find is totally different and none of them have a definite response to the question. I am sure there is someone out there that has tried the same thing as this before but only to find a solution to it . Can you spare some help on this VNC situation if not with vnc how about ssh with xserver. all i am looking for is a simple way to manage three machines that are not even connected to a monitor.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have two choices, either you can run something before anybody logs in, or you can run something immediately after you log in.

To run a command right after you boot, before anybody logs in, add the command to the file /etc/rc.local:

1. Open a Terminal.
2. Become root:

su -
3. Open the file in your favorite text editor:

gedit /etc/rc.local
4. Add the command that you want to run to the end of the file, on its own line.

If you want to start a program right after you log in:

1. Log in.
2. Wait for everything to start, then start only the program that you want to start automatically from now on.
3. Log out, and put a check in the "Save Settings" box.

From now on, when you log in, that program will be automatically started. If you want to stop that program from starting automatically, just:

1. Log in.
2. Quit the program that you want to no longer automatically start.
3. Log out, and put a check in the "Save Settings" box.

The "Save Settings" check box just causes your system to always look, by default, exactly like it does right before you log out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts