Removable Drives and Media

• phalanx
  • Born
  • Born
  • phalanx
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed gnome as my desktop and have been have some minor, but irritation problems.

I am trying to get some USB hard drives and thumbdrives visible to the O/S to transfer and download files. When I select System/Preferences/Removable Hard Drives and Media, I get the following error message:

[i]Volume Management not supported

[i]The "hald" service is required but not currently running. Enable the service and rerun this application, or contact your system administrator.

[i]Note: You need sysutils/hal installed for volume management to work.

I believe that the program is installed because I have found the executable at /usr/local/sbin/hald.
1. I have tried to execute the process with a "hald start" command but the process does not initiate or continue.
2. I would like to start the process automatically at login or boot...what file do you have to edit to have this work?

Can anyone help me with this one?

Also, I have also discoverd that the CD ROM and movies cannot function because the the programs "cannot open the source for writing" I am sure that this is just a permissions problem but I don't know what directory to start with. Perhaps it is a permissions problem with the executable. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phalanx
  • Born
  • Born
  • phalanx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot to mention that the O/S is FreeBSD and I installed gnome with the CVS port tool.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

phalanx wrote:
[i]Volume Management not supported

[i]The "hald" service is required but not currently running. Enable the service and rerun this application, or contact your system administrator.

[i]Note: You need sysutils/hal installed for volume management to work.

Install hal
  • phalanx
  • Born
  • Born
  • phalanx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I have found the pkg and will install.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts