Remove Fedora?

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty new to Linux. I just installed Fedora 9 on my computer and realized it's too good for it. I want to install Debian instead. How do I remove Fedora?

-Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just boot to the debian install disc and run it's installer, it should ask you if you want to overwrite existing linux partitions, tell it yes.

Just curious, whats wrong with your fedora? Fedora these days is really user friendly, a lot more than the old days like with fedora core 4 or 5.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks kc0tma. i have debian now! :)

My fedora just seems to be real slow on my computer. It's a 533mhz Pentium 3 with 256mb ram and about a 10gb hard drive. From what I've read, debian and slackware are better for my computer. What's your take on it?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that with that hardware set up you've got you'll find that most modern operating systems might lag a little. Fedora has a pretty fast release cycle so they stay on top of the latest greatest hardware, whereas something like slackware builds something good then keeps it until its outdated. The nice thing is that an out-of-the-box linux distro should run on *almost* any system that anyone might have around. If it doesn't work right away then the open source nature allows it to be configured and customized to work. In fact, that might be a fun project for you once you get to be real familiar and comfortable with nix; take a bone stock fedora release and chop it up and modify it to be optimized for that hardware configuration you have. Don't do that yet though, jumping into linux too fast is a good way to get frustrated and go back to the dreaded evil windows. Thats sad when people do that. :(
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Thats sad when people do that. :(

extremely.

midgets, instead of scrapping fedora already i would recommend trying different desktop and window managers first. there are a lot of options for a smaller, faster desktop experience. one that is still pretty full-featured but lighter than gnome and kde is called xfce. if you go into fedora's package manager and search for xfce you should be able to easily find the packages needed to install it. you may have to search for xfce4, but either way it'll be there. some other options are jwm (joe's window manager), icewm, blackbox, openbox, etc. which are even faster window managers, however they are also much less feature-rich.
if you're still in on the debian kick, you might try elive. it's the englightenment window manager with a debian base. i haven't tried it out myself yet, so i can't give much more information about it. if you're using firefox, you can just type 'elive' (without the quotes) in the address bar and it will bring you to their website.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you could go really hard core and do a text only environment and have no graphical interface! :lol:
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rofl. use gentoo imo O=)
w/no wm
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys. I think I'll try anarchy's xfce idea.

AnarchY SI wrote:
some other options are jwm (joe's window manager), icewm, blackbox, openbox, etc. which are even faster window managers, however they are also much less feature-rich.

Just curious, where can I get jwm, icewm, blackbox, and those other window managers? and how do I install (is that the write word?) them?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a working text environment, you can type yum query jwm* and that will list everything your repository has for jwm, or icewm or blackbox or whatever. If your repo has it then try a yum install jwm*, then remove your kde or gnome or whatever with yum. That might be kind of a harsh way to do it though, I think a safer way would be to put together a second kernel that will use the new window manager then play with your grub.conf to basically dual boot the two, and once your new graffical environment gets working the way you want it you can fling the old one. Thats a little more advanced doing it that way, but imo it is the right way.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma..what are you even talking about? you can switch window managers at login.. why on earth would you install another kernel JUST to use a different window manager?
midgets, all of those should be in the yum repositories like kc0tma said, but instead of messing with another kernel & all that business i would suggest you simply install them & choose whichever you'd like to try when you login (you have to make the choice before entering your password)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking that if you totally hosed it and busted it beyond belief then you would still have the other to fall back on to collect yourself and start again. It makes sense in my own head. I will say though that I've never actually switched from one window manager to another like that so I was making stuff up as I went. Thats the kind of thing that you would have to learn by doing it rather than just being theoretical about it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

agreed. i've done it quite a bit >.< lol but when you can install them through the package manager it makes it harder to royally eff yourself ;]
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
choose whichever you'd like to try when you login (you have to make the choice before entering your password)

hm. when i log in it doesn't give me a choice of window managers before entering my password.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

there should be something similar to a button that says 'session'. click it and it should give you options for the other window managers
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gave my desktop to my dad a few weeks ago and now all I have is my mac, I think it is time to image my osX install and format and put fedora on this puppy. I'm having withdrawals and I want to play with these different desktop environments.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

heheh do it ^_^
wht kind of mac is it?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a macbook with the intel processor. Not a mac book pro or anything. I can run the fedora live cd and backtrack perfectly well on it, so it should install smooth and slick with no issues.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooh sweet. that sounds fun ^_^
one of my roommates has a macbook pro & the other has a macbook. i'm kinda jealous as i'm stuck here with this clunker of a desktop and they have their sexy macs :-X
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually didn't get the macbook because it is sexy or trendy, or because of its superioriry in multimedia type stuff. I've had it almost two years now, and it still is a high performing machine. I was shopping for something that wasn't going to be just mediocre after a few years, and the only other apples-for-apples (so to speak) comparison laptop I found was a sony vaio, damn near identical hardware, and it costed almost a thousand dollars more. So macbook it was!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow..
yea, i have a friend who's in a similar situation.
the only thing i don't like is his is 12", that's too small for my taste.

midgets..you still around? make any progress? lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts