Running Linux via VPC

• Circa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'd like to setup a Linux server on my pc (for testing purposes), but first I need an OS. I am going with Cent OS because its the same OS as a Linux server I plan on using. I basically would like to know...

1. If I can run Linux OS via VPC (virtual PC)
2. The order of operations I need to setup a usable Cent OS.

Also, I know with Linux that their's alot of stuff that we get through Windows that is taken for granted. I am an MCSE so I think I understand Windows quite well.. However, I feel I will miss a lot of steps that the average Linux user will not. If you can post a simple yet detailed order of operations or, if you are an experienced Linux user, have you come across a very nice guide for people starting with Linux. (If you plan on linking me to http://www.linuxiso.org don't bother posting). Any help is appreciated. 8)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about http://www.distrowatch.com ? ;)
P.S. my link works, lol

the linux *distro, depends on which you choose for your virtual pc, but all of the above should run without a problem for you in such a scenario. i'm not sure about a usable centos because i've only setup fedora but if its similar (which its basically the free version of RHEL) then just go with default options and plug along. otherwise, someone else can go ahead and give it a stir. lol
  • Circa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link :) Can I run a server through VPC? And also which distro would be best for server setup? like I wanna do the works (i.e email, VPN etc)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts