safe to move from vista

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been looking at moving to Linux Ubuntu for some time, And I will move as soon as I find out the answer to some questions.

1 ) Is linux hard to use in respect of coding? I have heard many people say you have to be a good coder to manage it.

2) Would it be safe to move from windows vista? Becuase Vista Is really annoying me now. With its stupid bugs and errors.

I just dont want to loose all my files and stuff, I know that I will Loose a lot of my programmes but thats not my main issue. I guess my main concern is knowing that moving from windows vista to Linux Ubuntu is safe :P

// Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

The answer to that really depends on what you do with your computer, but you seem to already be aware that some Windows software doesn't work under Linux and has no counterpart.

I wrote an article quite some time ago that might help to better answer your questions on switching. It's Fedora-centric, but most things should apply under a Gnome desktop.

You don't have to know any code to run a Linux desktop.

If you don't want to lose your files, you'll need to put them some place that won't be formatted during your Linux installation.

I'll leave out the part of how Ubuntu sucks and how popularity doesn't make it the best OS.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you point me in the right direction to a Linux / Unix Os then please? I have only ever used windows so I really dont know which one to get.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm always raving about Fedora
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow That looks cool, Well I guess I now just have to choose either Ubuntu or Fedora :P

Thanks for your help dude.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you go the Fedora route, once installed, there's a decent desktop setup guide here: http://raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=336

No matter which way you go, if you don't have more than 3GB RAM, get the 32-bit version. There's no reason to deal with the headaches of dealing with 32-bit plugins on a 64-bit system unless you have good reason.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I moved to linux for a while after my windows crashed, well it didnt crash I tried to install a linxus distro and I corrupted one of my files :wink:, however I didnt lose anything. I installed Ubuntu and had a go with that, it all worked perfectly until I tried to start coding one of my projects again. My favorite IDE does not run on linux and only an older version will run correctly in wine, also I cant get my photoshop CS2 to install (Makes a really big pain in the butt to be a phtographer and webdesigner with out it, and I know about gimp its just really hard to make the change over and I dont have the time).

However after I moved back to windows I found a some nice IDE for programming. Nothing like the one I curently use on windows but alot of them are quite nice.

Eclipse
KDevelop
Code::Blocks

Useful link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606009
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recent Wine releases apparently support CS2, but not yet CS3. I guess both Fedora and Ubuntu will have to wait for new versions before they have native support* though (9 and 8.04 respectively).

* technically, nothing to stop you installing this yourself, but some people like to wait.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think if I were going to run a $1000 graphics suite, it'd be on the operating system it was designed for. Maybe that's just me though.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many Adobe users d'you think pay that price for their software?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Student discount for the win!
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, as I hear it, everyone is a student too ;)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried Linux and varieties of windows and I like windows best.

I can burn things (DVD or CD depandant upon size) and it all works great in Windows ... in Linux I don't have that ability and my "normal" software is windows based, not Linux ...

All in what you know and what you need the comp for I say :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

kbergmann wrote:
I can burn things (DVD or CD depandant upon size) and it all works great in Windows ... in Linux I don't have that ability

k3b burning software works wonders

kbergmann wrote:
and my "normal" software is windows based, not Linux ...

Open office instead of MS office
The Gimp instead of photoshop
pidgin for IM
Firefox and thunderbird instead of IE and outlook

And wine for everything else

I'm sorry, but it just drives me nuts when people say they can't do anything with linux that they normally do in windows. Both OS's are totally functional, and except for a few special hi-end programs (autocad, avid video editing, etc.) you can find an open source linux alternative, or at the very least hot rod the close source stuff on your system with wine.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

fair enough ... i ran open office, gimp, don't care about IM, and use FF .... so had those covered.

I could not burn music cds as nero does ... if k3b does the job of nero i might switch :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

k3b can do everything plus more of what nero can do. And as far as making copies of dvds and stuff, that takes a bit of ingenuity, and the makeisofs command.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately not true any more..

There are gui tools like acidrip and tovid/todisk which automate the whole process simple and quick.

Dependencies can be awkward on some distros, but debian (not the best for closed source formats) has everything needed to make classy professional looking dvd's.

qdvdauthor is coming along nicely, and avidemux will convert just about anything to anything else.

Codecs are sometimes awkward. It's all as usual a WIP with dvd tools.

The only thing with K3B.. make sure you have all the audio codecs and conversion tools you need before installing.. it can have problems finding say an .aac codec when it needs one. Otherwise it kills nero for tools.. especially nero8 which is IMHO really restrictive.

If you decide to switch to linux completely you will need some links for multimedia tools..

debian repositories will work on ubuntu too ;)

http://debian-multimedia.org/ .. for codecs, and feature filled players

http://www.rarewares.org/debian.php .. as they say.. rare things

http://www.rjamorim.com/rrw/index.html .. other odd and unusual things

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts