Secondary Hard Disk Recognition

• lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

How is it that i get a secondary drive without a windows installation on it to show up in konqueror. im using suse 10 for a fileserver. the hard part is is that the network it is going to be used on uses MAC and PC(altho PC has a clear domanation in numbers) the thing is that i need to set it up so that the macs and pcs can write and read(both with the restrictions i set) without a hitch...does this make sense or do i need to clerify anything?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

cmon people i have 1 week to get this running
i need any posible comment. it will be much appreciated
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've re-read your question several times and have to admit, I'm not entirely certain what you are looking for.

If you have a drive that you have inserted into a SuSe server (and recognized) that you wish to save data to for everyone on your network, I can think of several options.

Samba; an SMB CIFs implementation for *nix which permits Windows (and any PC which can read SMB shares) to read and write files.
This includes Mac's and PC's running either Linux, Unix or Windows -- obviously.

Alternatively, you could enable FTP; all machines should be able to ftp.

Bumping your posts, BTW, do not help your situation. People perhaps did not respond because of miscommunication or a lack of understanding.
I opted to take a stab in the dark after having read your post several times, and I could be way off target.

Cheers.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

my problem is i cant get ANY drive that dosnt have an OS on it to be recognized and its getting really annoying. any other suggestions?

and Daemonguy much thanks. Ill probably go the samba route but do i need to install anything on the client machines? if so ill just go the FTP route
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
my problem is i cant get ANY drive that dosnt have an OS on it to be recognized and its getting really annoying. any other suggestions?

well the drive does have to be formatted... you can't just put a hard drive in a computer and have the computer know what you want it to do with it. lol use a program like qtparted to create a partition on the disk and format it. i'd suggest ext3fs but thats all up to you.

Quote:
and Daemonguy much thanks. Ill probably go the samba route but do i need to install anything on the client machines? if so ill just go the FTP route

nope, nothing needs to be installed on the other clients. you just need file / printer sharing enabled, etc. so if your windows machines can share with each other, they'd be able to share with a samba-enabled machine.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i dont remmber anything about the original reason for this post but i have a new issue along th same lines. sorry to bring a dead post back to life but i fixed that issue but i dont know how. now on my personal use machine im having issues with the read write to the secondary drive. im going to reformat it but i dont know what should i format it to for the best performance. this is the really lame system i have and i just want a place to set my backup program to for the backup.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, if the machine is running a distro of linux then i would suggest ext3. thats what i format all of my linux partitions to. and the journaling has saved my bum quite a few times ;]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts