sendmail question

• leonid
  • Born
  • Born
  • leonid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to configure sendmail for receiving mail ?
I can send mail using my own mail serwer, but nothing goes from outside world. Is it configuration, iptables or other software problem?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it is possible.

The more direct answer involves your intent; to act as middleware between you (client) and your MTA (in the capacity of MDA) or if you intend to craft an actual MTA -- which means things like DNS MX records, and the ilk.

It's entirely possible, but I don't recommend it if you lack a working knowledge of how sendmail functions, a basis for which to build upon, shall we say. It's simply not for the faint of heart. Play with it long before you go production. :)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll also throw in that if you plan on spending some time with a mail server, you might as well make it qmail instead of sendmail - or even postfix.

While it's good to know how sendmail works, You'll hardly ever see it in a real, production environment (with the exception of send-only servers) - this is due to its NUMEROUS security flaws which range from open proxy exploits to buffer overflows granting shell access as root. Many of these have actually been fixed, but the damage to sendmails reputation has already been done.

Plus, when you get ready to set up a dedicated mail server for more than 1 domain, you're certainly not going to want to go through the HELL of setting up sendmail to do it.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
I'll also throw in that if you plan on spending some time with a mail server, you might as well make it qmail instead of sendmail - or even postfix.

I was going to mention the alternatives, but decided not to muddy the waters.
Postfix would be my choice -- for the record -- but as the question directly involved sendmail (no doubt due to its 'installed by default' presence) I thought it best to get an idea of where the individual was, in terms of MTA knowledge before setting about a course to alter the transfer mechanism.

My guess was (and is) that the question was directed less out of any specific MTA knowledge, and driven more by -- for lack of a better term -- proximity. "It's already installed, how do I use it?", sort of query. :)

For the record though, an alternative would prove wise.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts