Setting up a LAN http server.

• Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have an extra computer at home which has Fedora installed on it. I generally use it to test linux scripts and to play around with the operating system. It also has apache installed on it. I was wondering would it be possible to set it up as a LAN server so that any of the other computers at home can connect to it as a website...

so I guess

http://192.168.1.4/index.html

But how would I set this up. Do I have to configure both the linux pc and the router somehow?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, you just have to install apache. the only reason you'd configure anything with the router is if you wanted other people on the internet (such as me) to be able to access your server.
  • dsfcom
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsfcom
  • Loc: Hahira, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello..I have a WindowsXP machine with Apache installed connected to a LAN that I would like to set up for outside access:

http://192.168.2.254/index.html works from inside the network but the server is not seen from outside.

I have a Microsoft wireless router that I thought was set up correctly to forward the ports etc. but apparently I've done something wrong. Any ideas?

Don
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsfcom wrote:
Hello..I have a WindowsXP machine with Apache installed connected to a LAN that I would like to set up for outside access:

http://192.168.2.254/index.html works from inside the network but the server is not seen from outside.

I have a Microsoft wireless router that I thought was set up correctly to forward the ports etc. but apparently I've done something wrong. Any ideas?

Don

Not to sound rude, but posting in the right forum might be something you could try

Tdotwire:
Code: [ Select ]
yum install httpd php-gd php-mysql mysql-server

Should give you everything you need to get started. Your web server's document root is at /var/www/html/
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this...? i'm confused...either you're losing it, or i'm losing it. ? he said an XP machine setup w/apache, and nothing about linux.. ?

dsf, did you go into your router and set it up to forward port 80? and did you modify your firewall rules to allow traffic through port 80?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
this...? i'm confused...either you're losing it, or i'm losing it. ? he said an XP machine setup w/apache, and nothing about linux.. ?

dsf, did you go into your router and set it up to forward port 80? and did you modify your firewall rules to allow traffic through port 80?

dsf said he was installing Apache on Windows XP, so it belongs in the Windows forum as it has nothing to do with Linux or Unix. Further, it's bad form to tag onto someone else's problem with your own. The OP should have started a new thread at any rate.

As for setting up the router (I've never actually seen a Microsoft router myself), you need to set up port forwarding on the router. Most are capable of this but some very low-end units aren't.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

so then the yum instructions were for the original op? lol b/c that was the part that confused me...
i agree that dsf should have made a new post in the correct forum
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh, now I see. Yes the yum instructions were for Tdotwire.
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey hhhhhe told that the website is not visible from outside..isnt it that he has hosted the website on a internat ip address..or something else..please clear this doubt of mine..
thanks in advance...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow...english? lol
the only thing you need to do is either sign up for a dns, free or paid for (i'm through dyndns.org) and then configure your router to have port 80 directed to your computer. when you do this configuration, you specify your ip behind your router. i.e. 192.168.0.* or whatever you chose your ip to be if you configured it manually.
so in all what you have to do, if you want to have a domain name..
install a web server, make sure its running, sign up for a domain name that goes to your ip, and have your router redirect packets requesting port 80 to come to your computer. unless of course you choose https which is on port 8080 but that wasn't inquired about so that doesn't need to be discussed.

p.s. (disclaimer: i've been drinking...yea, so if anything in this post is questionable, thats why :] )
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

https is port 443
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm....yea. why was i thinking 8080?
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey ANARCH...u told that setting up the router..thats rite..but the thing is the router should also been an external ip addrs so that it is recognised thru out the world..the ip addrs 192.168.*.*is an private ip address..after u have given the external ip addrs to the router then u can redirect it to any host on the network..even which has a private ip addrs..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well yes, all routers have internal and external ip's. the ISP assigns the external ip, which the router takes and then the router assigns the computer behind it an internal ip. the easiest way i've found to find out the external ip is to go to http://www.whatismyip.com and then to update the dns server with the ip that you receive from that site.

so what exactly are you saying...? lol
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am saying that for the person who posted this query cant make his website global untill he has an personal xternal ip address..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tdotwire wrote:
I was wondering would it be possible to set it up as a LAN server so that any of the other computers at home can connect to it as a website...

pretty sure that says so that any computers at home can connect to it..?
if all he needs is for the computers on his LAN to connect, aka the computers behind his router, than anyone in front of his router, like us, dont need to connect to it. so no, he doesn't need to know his external ip address.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

man_in_mask101 wrote:
I am saying that for the person who posted this query cant make his website global untill he has an personal xternal ip address..

Uhm, huh?

If he is on a home internet connection, he *has* an external IP; he simply needs to NAT, which is handled by the port forwarding.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts