SlackWare 12.0 Dont find SATA drive.

• stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

I whant a second OS slackware 12.0 , i have installed on my pc win xp leaving free space 20gb on my SATA 160gb and now i want to install linux

I have a problem with installation i can't find the SATA disk.
Next are pictures of the problem...
http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w324/s7efanb777/

If there is someoane who knows what is the problem , please help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm wondering if the problem is that the drive is on the second sata channel and not the first? you could try plugging it in to the first channel and seeing if slackware finds it.

also, what does the command
Code: [ Select ]
# fdisk -l
produce? you tried accessing drives but you didn't have it list the drives available for you :]
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will try to see if it works...
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

:?: I have tried to do but no succes Image
:( Image
:( Image

Please advise,.
If i move my drive to SATA 1- i will have to reinstall ALL?

Thank to all that answer..
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry this is the last images
:?: Image
:?:
Image :?:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try fdisk /dev/sda and if that doesn't work then fdisk /dev/sdb and so on until it works. It should find the drive pretty quick, but based on your -l output, I am going to ask the obvious question....... The hard drive(s) are properly plugged in and everything right?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

slash detected in the BIOS.?
i'm wondering if slackware is dumb & you have to do /sbin/fdisk -l ?
or maybe enter: su - (make note of the -)
and then try executing the fdisk command.
although going kcotma's route should work just as well, and possibly faster :-X lol
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's rather odd, "fdisk -l" *should* show the size and partition tables of any block device seen by the system (including flash drives). Are you by chance plugged into a SATA 1 slot with a SATA 2 drive set to 3.0Gps instead of 1.5Gps? Look for a jumper on the drive and, if so, thank the powers that be that you didn't fry your hard drive's controller (that is, if you didn't).

If that's not the answer here, you need to check your hardware anyway. Does the drive show in your BIOS?

If all this looks good to you, tell us what motherboard and hard drive you have.
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank's to all for your answers ....

kc0tma
First i try -- fdisk /dev/sda -- sdb.....sdh,sdg,sdi

it's not working.

this213
Are you by chance plugged into a SATA 1 slot with a SATA 2 drive set to 3.0Gps instead of 1.5Gps?
I believe that my motherboard ( ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe) not support SATA2 but the drive is for shore SATA 2.
- hard drive MAXTOR STM3160811AS (160GB)
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image :arrow:
Image :arrow:
Image :arrow: Image :arrow: Image
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

---Look for a jumper on the drive and, if so, thank the powers that be that you didn't fry your hard drive's controller (that is, if you didn't)---

How to put the jumpers correctly?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

there's a little tiny jumper on 4 pins on the back of the hard drive. If it's a SATA 2 drive, you DEFINITELY NEED to have that set to jump the left two pins (if looking at the side the pins are on with the label up). I'm really not even sure of how your board is reading that drive, but if it's in 3.0 mode, CR205 (behind the data pins on the drive's controller board) is well known (by me) to flat out blow if connected to a 1.5 port (I've seen no less than a dozen instances first hand).

The label itself should also have the proper settings listed on it:

*edit: BTW, your BIOS post shows that your drive is /dev/sdb
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'd plug the drive into the first SATA master on the motherboard too. It probably won't affect anything, but I'm just a little bit obsessive about plugging stuff into things in the right order and whatnot.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I think I'd plug the drive into the first SATA master on the motherboard too. It probably won't affect anything, but I'm just a little bit obsessive about plugging stuff into things in the right order and whatnot.

Here Here!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:

thats what i suggested 12 posts ago :P
he was supposed to try & tell us if it worked. lol
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
kc0tma wrote:

thats what i suggested 12 posts ago :P
he was supposed to try & tell us if it worked. lol

Been a while. You should know by now that nobody listens to Ubuntu users :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And plus I only actually get about 3 or 4 words out of every paragraph I read anyway.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And I just thought of one other thing too. It seems as though slackware might be a bit over the top for the original poster, perhaps something a little easier like fedora might be a better option. Let anaconda do all the hard work for you, then when you get a functioning system start playing with stuff like adding\removing drives or partitions and playing with LVM and software RAID. If you totally screw up the system, then sweet! It means you get the learning opportunity to fix it.
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will try to see what is with the jumpers, until then i have to tel my configuration an my PC
- SATA 2 drive 160GB
- Motherboard Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
- Geforce 7300 PCI Expres
- 1 GB DRAM 400
- Creative Live 5.1 PCI
- Windows XP on partition C and D for stuff leaving free space 20 Gb on my first installation
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Been a while. You should know by now that nobody listens to Ubuntu users :D

psht :P ubuntu is only 1 of 3 distros i have installed. i'm kind of a distro slut ;] not my fault it works better than fedora ;P
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made all the changes , change the jumpers configuration and change the cable slot to SATA 1 on my motherboard .
Try again to see if slackwer12 work and the same result.

fdisk /dev/sda....sdh and nothing
[-l] the same result

This is very intristing ...

What next
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe try downloading fedora or ubuntu and see if either of them can find the drive. Let their installers do all the partitioning and stuff just to keep it simple for now. If that works then we'll dive deeper into slack.
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

Next i will try Ubuntu.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

stef77 wrote:
Next i will try Ubuntu.

shhhh...this might hear you :-X ;]
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
stef77 wrote:
Next i will try Ubuntu.

shhhh...this might hear you :-X ;]

At least it's not Windblows.

AnarchY, I remember a time when you hated Ubuntu too - you've just been corrupted by the dark side. Please don't tell me one of your other distros is Suse.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used suse 10.1 for a while after I used old fedora core 4 and others, but then switched back to the ol' stand-by. Ah, fedora....
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
At least it's not Windblows.
truuuuuuue story. ^_^

this213 wrote:
AnarchY, I remember a time when you hated Ubuntu too - you've just been corrupted by the dark side. Please don't tell me one of your other distros is Suse.

yea, that was when ubuntu sucked ass >.< their 8.04 release is just nice.
but no :P suse is not in the line up (my wifi doesn't work by default and making it work is too much work thats NOT worth the effort). + the only reason to use suse is their custom menu which has become available-ish for gnome outside of suse, although I've grown to <3 the traditional gnome menus. the others apart from ubuntu are F9 & BT3
  • stef77
  • stef77

Post 3+ Months Ago

In time i have tried Fedora 4 but it seems a little complicated , because is missing a lot of things like mp3, movie player, nvidia driver, ...

Now i thing i will try Ubuntu, but first a have to empty my hard drive , i am afraid if a lose a lot of data ... If Ubuntu resize the drive D i am in big trouble ...

I have hear good things about Ubuntu i will see if is true .
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fedora core 4 is way old and outdated, if you want to try a current fedora I believe the latest release is Fedora 9. I had SATA troubles back when I got into fedora core 4, it was my first distro.

And as far as mp3 and movie players, that is a touchy subject. The licensing to make mp3 and dvd format and stuff legal is kind of wishy washy, but the popular ones are xmms for music and vlc for video. You'll have to install those after you install the operating system.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

stef77 wrote:
In time i have tried Fedora 4 but it seems a little complicated , because is missing a lot of things like mp3, movie player, nvidia driver, ...

by default, ubuntu does not have these things either. upon install, ubuntu will prompt you to install the proprietary nvidia driver and it will automate that for you, but you will have to manually install the mp3 & dvd codecs. which is easy, it's just not there automatically.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts