slackware...help....

• samuraigecko
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • samuraigecko
  • Loc: fort lauderdale FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i built a ocmputer today ( my first yay! ) and installed slack ( thanks ally).
i booted it up and it says GRUB
what is GRUB?!
what can i do to make it boot up right?
i hit enter and like every button i could find but yet it still just says grub as if it were a command line or something... help me...

i used redhat, it was ok, but not that great and im have some realllly bad network probs with this :-\

but firt help me getslack running please :)

thank you sooo much

if i mest up spelling...sorry. im tired and dont fell like clicking spellcheck haha
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

GRUB is a boot loader (another is LILO). It is installed in the master boot record (MBR) of your primary drive (usually). When your computer starts, it will load a program found in the MBR for instructions on finding an operating system to boot. These boot loaders have the ability to present a list of operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc.) that the user may choose from.

Your Slackware installation added GRUB to the MBR. This is a good thing. However, you should have been given the choice to--at least--boot to Linux. Something went wrong. Go over the choices you made when installing Slackware... focusing on disk partitions and boot loader configuration.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've installed slackware twice, and never seen grub as an option, it automatically does lilo.

What type of installation did you use?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

samuraigecko wrote:
i used redhat, it was ok, but not that great and im have some realllly bad network probs with this :-\

b_heyer, you gave me an idea. Maybe GRUB is left over from Red Hat. :-)

samuraigecko, when you do a fresh installation of Slackware, you must install LILO in the MRB. The installer likely warned you against doing this, but it is what you need.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

of course both of my installations refused to install to the MBR, but oh well....
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slackware won't install the LILO to the MBR? Wow, no wonder samuraigecko ran into trouble. You'd think there'd be a way...

samuraigecko, did you get this fixed?
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slackware will indeed install LILO to the MBR, just not for poor Brandon. :-/ Heh, anyway, I think that samuraigecko gave up on Slack and installed FreeBSD instead.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish people would post a follow up when the create a thread looking for help. :-(
  • samuraigecko
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • samuraigecko
  • Loc: fort lauderdale FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, ive been haveing to much fun with bsd :-P
but thanks ALOT!!
if i make a second linux computer ( im SURE i will) it will most likely run Slackware. right now i need to build my dad a PC for his room, which will sadly have mixrosfot on it just because for him, it will be the EASYEST. but then i will make one more ( for now hehe ) linux box or a windows box, for gameing and graphics/video editing. but you never know im looking for a good deal on a MAC :)

thanks for your help tho :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Desk ... ngItemList

Hunt around, Apple iMac G3 computers are going from between one and two hundred dollars.

Look for the SE and DV models (they have slot loading CD/DVD players). They run OS X great. At 400+ MHz, they won't win any races but are great to play with or learn. In fact, I'm using a G3 400MHz, 256BM SE almost every day.
  • RobbertWethmar
  • Born
  • Born
  • RobbertWethmar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today I had exactly the same problem. Tried to install Slackware 10, on the same disk where Fedora Core 2 worked happily before. Grub came up. It must have been a leftover from Fedora in the MBR, I had Slackware put LILO in the bootsector.

Because I didn't no how to clear the MBR I reinstalled Slackware, trying to install LILO in the MBR. That wouldn't work. This was caused by the fact that the harddisk was a slave on the secondary IDE interface, it wasn't the first drive. It seems LILO only installs on the first drive. So I changed the IDE setup, made the harddisk the master on the primary IDE interface (hdd became hda) and reinstalled Slackware, putting LILO in the MBR. That worked!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts