Small Linux server / Work envirerment

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, so Im the kind of kid that loves to mess around and learn small little things. Recently, for about a year, I have been working for my school doing anything and everything related to there computer systems. Well working on there network got me interested in messing around with networks. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some basic info on software that is required to setup a small network. Such that users login and are then given access to network drives.

My school uses SUSE servers,and other Novell technologys. Althought I don't think Novell offers any free solutions.

Any articles or books would be a great place to start.
I found this site, which seems to be a great resource.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a small home network. The only server is FreeBSD which is Unix. It is an in house server which means no one from the outside can connect. I only have SSHD and FTPD running, neither of which has anything to do with web servers. The D is for daemon which is what makes it a server. SSH is Secure Shell which allows me to run commands that may or may not be routed over the net. FTP is File Transfer Protocol which allows me to store and retrieve files using 3 windows PCs, also on the network. I can also FTP to FTP servers elsewhere.

You can do the same with any flavor of Linux. Since the software can be downloaded, your only cost will be the hardware. Windows server software costs a lot so I doubt you'll want that.

The Linux Documentation Project is another resource.
http://www.linux.org/docs/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts