Solaris vs PCBSD ?

• chobstix
  • Born
  • Born
  • chobstix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new to the whole Unix/Linux, and I'm trying to learn more about them. I'm starting with Unix, and I've seen 2 different versions, Solaris & PC BSD, which one is better ? .. or should I ask, which one is friendlier for newbie ? Thanks guys
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like PC-BSD. its pretty nice, and based on FreeBSD.
i tried installing Solaris twice, and it took like a half hour for the first disk of the installer to load, and then wanted the second disk. i think. and it was just taking forever so i said screw it. so i haven't actually "tried" it yet, but i'm not impressed so far..
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Solaris more, but then you did say "for a newbie", didn't you? I think PC BSD is going to be your best bet given the two options.

If you're setting out to learn as much about *nix as you can, I have a very easy (to remember) 2-step program for you:

1. Install Slackware and all of the components you need for a fully functional desktop (X, gnome, rhythmbox, whatever).

2. Build an LFS system (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/) from your Slackware installation.

Before you do this, be prepared to do a lot of reading and spend some (lots of) time with it.
  • frezasaga
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frezasaga

Post 3+ Months Ago

but how about the kubuntu 6 and susi 10.........which one is good..........i installed kubuntu 6 it much coller it look like mac and also susi 10 grahpix are so cool too..... so which one is the best among the two........
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

asking which is better between kubuntu and suse is like asking whats better, pizza or taco's.
it depends on the person.
personally, i hate k/x/ubuntu but thats because it hates my computer and refuses to run. i like suse, but YaST is slow and last i remember, it took firefox something like 10 seconds to initially load.
so why dont you use them both and see which one you like more?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, while I am a huge FreeBSD fan (much better than Solaris, ick ptoooie :) ) I am not sure that what you want is a flat out, full-on install of a complete package with GUI. What will you learn from that, except to stick a CD into the drive and hit 'go'?

Try getting an ISO image from FreeBSD.org; install that and make the system be anything you want it to be ... desktop, server, you name it.

By the time you get it up and running, you will know a thing or two about the OS. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts