Solaris 9 system notseeing LUNs on a second A1000 disk array

• 6fingers
  • Born
  • Born
  • 6fingers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings all,

I'm installing a secondary A1000 array on a Sun Netra 1405 running Solaris 9. We're using RAIDManager 6.22.1 and after resetting the configuration, I can see the secondary array, I can create a single LUN on it, newfs and mount a new filesystem, everything's fine until I create a second LUN at which point the array stop responding. The array has the latest firmware and tests fine on a Solaris 8 system with multiple LUNs. Has anyone seen array problems like this with Solaris 9?

Thanks,
6fingers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may have a problem with the second LUN being assigned a LUN0 id. You may want to reset (delete, recreate) the first LUN, then the second, due to the upgrade.

Also, there's some question as to the functionality of Sun's RaidManager 6.22.x with certain versions of Solaris. I would check on that... but more importantly, the rev of the A1000 controller.

I haven't had an opportunity to use Solaris 9; last version I played with was an early release of 8. That was for some old E450's.

Cheers.
  • 6fingers
  • Born
  • Born
  • 6fingers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input Daemonguy, I'll try recreating LUNs with unique IDs. One detail, the original array has older firmware, so maybe the discrepancy between firmware versions on the two arrays is causing an issue. They're connected to 2 different SCSI controller cards, not daisy-chained.

The whole purpose of the second array is to migrate data as a precaution because the old array is falesely reporting a disk as failed although it's a known good disk, hence compromising the LUN. So we're suspecting the old firmware is to blame for this.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that's why I said how important it was. I know we had problems with an array on Solaris 8, and had to upgrade the firmware.

Good Luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts