sound card detection

• man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey i got a new laptop(lenovo 3000 C 100)and i installed red hat linux ver 9 on it.
whenever i start up my notebuk then i get the message that "unable to intialise the sound driver" when i tried to perform the soundcard detection then got the message that " sound card unintialised" ..loking forward for ur assistance in this matter..
Thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

why did you choose RH9? its rather old / outdated / unsupported.
you should upgrade to Fedora Core 6, which was just released the 24th of this month. Fedora is what replaced the free version of RH, and RH9 was the last version that RH produced.

if you insist on using it, however, does lspci display your sound card?
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey from which site can i dwnld this fedora core 6..please tell me...and as m i beginner i duno what is lspci..please tell me man..thanks in advance..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

theres links for the download at the top of the page if you go to http://www.fedoraproject.org where you can download via ftp/http or through a torrent from the main server, but its usually faster to download from a mirror

lspci is a command that you can run that lists your peripherals and it will show you what all pci devices are detected. so to run this command, you would open up a terminal or console window, and then just enter it as you see it.
  • man_in_mask101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • man_in_mask101

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx dude..i will download it today itself..but here every thing given in the for of rpms..i cant find a way to install it after downloadin everything given on the site...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what exactly do you mean? once you're booted in to fedora you'd open up a terminal, enter su and your root user password to get super user privileges and then use yum (the command is yum blah) to install / update / remove software. or you could use yum to install yumex which is the gui for yum (to do this you'd enter: yum -y install yumex)
if theres an rpm package for FC6 that you find but isn't in the yum repository, you'd open up a terminal and enter su with your root password again and then enter rpm -ivh /path/to/rpm/file-version-arch.rpm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts