split CLI terminal

• gr8linux
  • Born
  • Born
  • gr8linux

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it possible to split/divide CLI terminal into two parts so that i can do two different works without switching to other tty, and i can see those two windows simultaneously.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have 'screen' installed, then you should be able to do that using Ctrl+a S. Have a look here for more shortcut keys.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are just running a terminal windows within a gui, just open two windows. Or if you are in a full text environment, on some distros like redhat and fedora and I believe centos, by hitting Ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2 or F3.....) will take you to a different terminal.
  • gr8linux
  • Born
  • Born
  • gr8linux

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
If you are just running a terminal windows within a gui, just open two windows. Or if you are in a full text environment, on some distros like redhat and fedora and I believe centos, by hitting Ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2 or F3.....) will take you to a different terminal.

but i dont want this, i want to divide the same conosle (fully text environment) into two or more so that i dont hv to swicth other terminals...........
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I take it you're not using the screen application, then?
  • rrasin

Post 3+ Months Ago

just open a file and then use this command ":split <new file name>". This will open the second file.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

So let me get this straight. You have one monitor, and you want to see both terminals simultaneously on the same screen? Almost like the left half being tty1 and the right half being tty2, right?
  • Deem3n
  • Born
  • Born
  • Deem3n

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use screen.

Also, you can use a customized .screenrc to make the server administration process much more comfortable.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts