SSH with Windows and Linux

• Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo
  • Loc: Applications Developer

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello all,

please i have a problem with my FC4 connection. I want to connect to the FC4 PC through my WinXP Laptop. Both are on my Local LAN. I have assigned both IP addresses, and connection between both has been established(Ping).

I got putty running on WinXP and I could login into my FC4 server on my lan.

Then what I wanted to do was to assign it any IP, just to be able to access it from the LAN. I do not want to put it on the web yet.

for example: I can access the web with any of these addresses xxx.xxx.xx.2 to xxx.xxx.xx.6, so I tried assigning my FC4 an address of xxx.xxx.xx.10, still having the same gateway and dns settings as my other PCs.

I then could not connect fro Win to Linux anymore using Putty from WIndows.
Error"
Quote:
connection refused

the first time I tried connecting to my linux box using putty, i used the IP xxx.xxx.xx.5 and i got a prompt like this one:
Quote:
The server's host key is not cached in the registry. You have no guarantee that the server is the computer you think it is: The servers rsa2 key finger print is ssh-rsa 1024 ............................ If you trust this host, hit Yes to add the key to Putty's cache and carry on connecting. If you want to crry on connecting just once, without adding the key to the cache, hit No. If you do not trust this host, hit Cancle to abandon the connection

I clicked "YES"

I now discovered that even if i change the IP on my Linux box to another IP still within my usable range, I cannot connect to the Linux box. As in using .2,.3,.4, or.6, i get the same
Quote:
connection refused
error.

Q1 - please why is it that I get a "connection refused" error if i try to use the other IPs available for internet connection besides the first one I used when Putty worked fine.
Q2. Also as i said before, I want to assign it an IP outside the usable IPs I have so that It would just be accessible on my LAN and not on the web...i dont want to make it public. If i assign it another IP, i get the same errors as i explained.

please help
Toks
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know much about puddy but if it cached it. It may still be trying to connect to useing that ip.

Did you change ports?
it may be the fire wall on FC4

is it FC4 saying connection refused
or your windows box?
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may want to try to see if it is puddy or the FC4 box.

can you telnet to the FC4 box?

if you dont know how just post

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts