Start Multiuser Mode

• Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know how in multiuser mode in any linux box, you can transfer into the X window system by inputting the command startx

but is it possible to do the other way... Like when in an X window system terminal like the GNOME terminal, is it possible to transfer into the multiuser mode without having to set the inittab and then reboot...

like something like startmulti...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you talking local or remote?

It's possible with *nix to have multiple remote logins via VNC (for example) that are concurrent.
As for local, there's some hacks that I am aware of which permit the user to have multiple monitors/input devices, and therefore distinct sessions on the same local machine.

Here's an example of one that I could recall;
http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/

Do so at your own risk of course. :)
  • Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

all that I am asking is for LOCAL, when you are in X window terminal

is there a command that will take you straight to the black screen "Multi User" mode. I know for when you want to go into X window there is a command called startx which will transfer you from black window "Multi User" straight to X window...
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tdotwire wrote:
all that I am asking is for LOCAL, when you are in X window terminal

is there a command that will take you straight to the black screen "Multi User" mode. I know for when you want to go into X window there is a command called startx which will transfer you from black window "Multi User" straight to X window...

Er, huh?

You mean, you want people to be able to login to a CLI?

If you want to stop X, (presuming you are not running something like xdm -- starting X from the CLI) you can either exit X using the little buttons or pres ctrl-alt-backspace.

You'll be dumped out at the CLI again.

If you want a CLI interface while inside X, run xterm (or something like it). I am not entirely certain I understand your requirement.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

CTRL+ALT+F1 through F6 will take you out to the 6 other console shells (X runs in the virtual F7).

If you want to actually change your runlevel open a terminal, or hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and, as root:
Code: [ Select ]
init 3

If you're already running in runlevel 3 (that is, you had to type startx to start X), all you have to do is log out of X to be dropped back to the command line.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts