I'm starting to get a pile of computers here

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Random people always seem to give me their old computers and parts when they upgrade and I usually just throw them away. Recently people have been giving me some stuff I could actually use though.

I've got a spare Compaq Presario SR1123WM that I'd like to play with alternate operating systems on.
It seems to be pretty much stock.
I'll probably max it out with 1GB of RAM if I find a cheap stick on Amazon and something to do with it.

I really don't have a plan for this thing, so I'd like some ideas on what do do with it. Keep in mind I've already got two spare systems setup with Ubuntu and HTTP stacks, I'd rather venture into something new than redo those with something new.
I'm not looking for the best OS to match the system, I'd be fine with something that would just work well enough to experience it, I'll likely end up trying a few alternatives.

What OS do you think I should put on this system ?
Where would I get that OS ?
What could I do with that OS ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be interesting to see you test the beta releases of Windows 7 and get your feedback
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Play around with Plan 9.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
It would be interesting to see you test the beta releases of Windows 7 and get your feedback

You know, that hadn't even crossed my mind. I kinda forgot Windows exists.
I'm under the impression I need to be an MSDN subscriber or something to get it ?

//Edit - Meh.
Quote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx
The Windows 7 Beta is no longer available for download. If you have the Beta, here are the Installation Instructions and FAQ.

spork wrote:
Play around with Plan 9.

I'm definately going to have to do some more reading about that one. I've never heard of it or most of the things mentioned in the overview at that link.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

FreeBSD baby.
  • moniqu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • moniqu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps MINIX is a good OS to play around with? (http://www.minix3.org).
Or indeed Windows 7, I've heard some good stuff about it from several people, so might be fun to see what it can do.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

install OSX :-X
or gentoo.
even though i hate gentoo >.>
because it hates me.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a copy of Windows 7 RC sitting on my desktop here, I just need a DVD to burn it onto and two 512MB sticks of memory to replace the 256 that's in the system in question.

I'm thinking about putting the HDD from the system in question, into the system I'm on now, and trying W7 like that for a bit since the system in question supports a max amount of memory equal to the min required by W7. But I don't want W7 to do some strange crap to this PC and leave me high and dry.

Decisions decisions.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am just curious, have you made your decision, Joe?? Maybe something could be learned from it.

:)

How - Why would people dumped their old computers to you in the first place? That is great for research purposes, right. Did you help them to fix computers before? or have you persuaded them? I would not mind keeping some old ones if some people here want to dump their old computers to me.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't get ahold of a blank DVD to burn the Windows 7 beta on to and the thought of getting locked into using Windows 7 and being forced to purchase it later weighed on the back of my mind every time I had the opportunity to get blank DVDs.

I'd actually put this on the back burner until a few weeks ago. A friend bought me a copy of Windows Vista for my birthday last month so that we could play games online, and that kinda forced me to look into this project again since I had all of my computers open for cleaning and inventory anyway.

So I ended up taking the hard drive out of the Compaq and sticking it in my every day computer, now this computer has two disks with two different operating systems. Ubuntu Jaunty and Windows Vista.

As for the Compaq, I've ended up just sticking with Ubuntu Server for that after replacing the 256MB of ram that was in it with a GB I had laying around.

I've liked Ubuntu so far, and I think unless one day I really want to get my hands dirty and just start with a bare kernel or something, I'm going to stick with Ubuntu.

--

As for why people give me their old computers, well, I'm "the computer guy" and anyone who's ever met me in person will tell you I always look like I'm thinking. When they look at the costs of upgrading/repairing their computer VS just buying a new one, they think of me. When someone gives them a computer and it's not as good as the one they have, they think of me.

When I was about 20 I used to go to computer stores at about 2AM and look out back. Unlike most businesses, computer store dumpsters pretty much have nothing other than old computer parts and shredded paper in them. Back then the dumpsters would sometimes get so full that they'd just start stacking computers next to them. I built my first and a few other computers that way.

Everyone hears that story about me sooner or later and I think it comes to mind when they have a computer they're not using.
  • John Biles
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Earth, Milkyway some where like that.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone with an old PC that thinks it worthless and don't want to see it end up in landfill should try Legacy OS. Runs live or install.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts