Starting out.

• dcox
  • dcox
  • Loc: Santa Clara, Ca. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just stumbled across this site, and felt it could prove useful in learning more of the admin aspects of Linux/Solaris UNIX.

I have been in IT for well over 10 years with a focus on Security and Windows. I can lock down a Windows box to the point it cannot be hacked on without extreme effort - anything can be hacked eventually.

I can install Linux, but the only way I know how to admin a Linux box is via GUI - not a very effective method!

All,

Please feel free to offer advice or suggestions on how to gain admin experience FAST. I am a quick study and learn much from hands on followed up with technical reading...

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to admin Linux 100% via command line. I know some of the basics, like ps -ef, ls -al, grep, who...

What I don't know is file structure. In Windoze, it's C:\......... I can walk through a Win box with eyes closed. I'd be lucky if I can locate ifconfig switches without first checking (obviously on Linux).

I'd also like to locate some tech notes on hardening a Linux box. Forget about patches! I am talking about how to harden folders, files, ports, kernels...

Think that's more than enough of my chattering for now.

Feel free to check my bio, or reply via email.

Thanks,

Danny
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you uh...search google? lol because from what you've stated, if i had to guess i'd assume the answer to that question being a big no..
http://www.google.com/search?q=secure+linux

read through some of those sites and post back on what you'd like to better understand/need help with..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't answer that post because I didn't feel like writing a book. Becoming a Linux or Unix admin fast, isn't going to happen.
  • dcox
  • dcox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anarchy,

No - no Google.

Thought I'd go to the horse first and see if it know where the best water was...

Scanning through thousands of site hits just doesn't make good sense when there are pros like you out there...

Thanks,

Danny
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you aren't going to use google, or get books from the library, then you need to ask more specific questions. For example, you mentioned the C: drive in windows. Unix uses partitions and/or slices for it's file systems as well as subdirectories on each to divide the hard drive.
There is no way that it can all be explained in any forum.
  • dcox
  • dcox

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand.

What I am mainly looking for is:

What web site(s) do you usually rely on for Linux Administration related research - when troubleshooting and/or system hardening?

I wager you have 3 or 4 top choices you rely on the most...

Thanks,

Danny
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you want now. You want The Linux Documentation Project.

http://tldp.org/

Now, Linux has expanded quite a lot since I've used it so how updated it is, I don't know but that's how I started learning it. As I said before, I went back to FreeBSD which I still use. Look at the HOWTOs for specific things.
  • dcox
  • dcox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweet!

Thanks,

Danny
  • dcox
  • dcox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Went to the site and found this on securing a Linux Box: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/H ... -HOWTO.pdf

Great starting point for the security side of things.

Now I need ot start playing with my old SPARC2 Web (to get up to speed again) - been about 8 years...

Thanks, for the link!

Danny
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if I would use sparc2 as a way to reach your Linux goal. I really don't think they are close enough but I'm glad you're finding what you want.
  • dcox
  • dcox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but I need to regain the SOLARIS skills I once had while getting a better grasp on Linux.

Guess I could install Linux on some old P-III stuff hanging around.

Think I'll start with Fedora core6.

Thanks again!

Danny
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

After you learn the commands and you get comfortable with the OS, read The Unix Haters Handbook which will have you laughing the entire time.
http://www.simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf

It's written by the people who invented Unix and the C programing language. It started as an April fools joke. They were shocked when AT&T picked it up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts