stripped-down version of linux

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been searching google for quite some time now, and I can't seem to find a stripped down version of linux, for PPC. I don't need/want X, or a gui environment. I'm just looking to download a <50mb version of linux. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Damn small linux is the smallest linux distro i know of.
You could always make your own linux
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

DSL comes with fluxbox and JWM, along with X. not like they can't be removed..

or you could go the gentoo way but thats annoying.
another option would be to install a distro like ubuntu which supposedly runs quite well on Macs, and then boot to the command line and do something like.. sudo apt-get -y xorg
but thats if you have like, 8 hours where you'll be at work or something, not accessing your computer. lol
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
You could always make your own linux

I took at look at that, and that differentially looks like something I want to do in the future.
AnarchY SI wrote:
another option would be to install a distro like ubuntu which supposedly runs quite well on Macs,

Yea, I'm going to install ubuntu soon. Right now I'm just trying to get some install experiance under my belt, since I've never really used linux.

I ended up finding a minimal install of gentoo yesterday, but I was haveing problems installing it. I thought that it would boot right to the install screen, but it booted to a live cd where I was supposed to install afterwards. But I haven't read much of the manual yet, so I'm going to read that tomorrow and see if I can get it working.[/quote]
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mars wrote:
I ended up finding a minimal install of gentoo yesterday, but I was haveing problems installing it. I thought that it would boot right to the install screen, but it booted to a live cd where I was supposed to install afterwards. But I haven't read much of the manual yet, so I'm going to read that tomorrow and see if I can get it working.

yea...thats that annoying part i was talking about. lol
as long as you follow the handbook on gentoo's website the install should go OK. i would recommend emerging a kernel when it comes to that point and not trying to compile your own. and when configuring GRUB, don't forget that when you set root (hd0,2) , that would be saying the distro exists on /dev/hda3. i've seen that trip people up a bit :]
other than that...good luck. lol
::doesn't like gentoo::
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
[other than that...good luck. lol

Yea, I'm really gonna need it, considering I've never installed linux before, Haven't installed software on linux, haven't used it much, and this isn't even close to one of the most straight forward installs. But I don't mind getting my feet wet :D.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mars wrote:
...But I don't mind getting my feet wet :D.

good luck staying afloat ;)
but i think if i were you i'd at least go through a text based installer before attempting gentoo.. its not a very nice distro in the beginning.
like if anything, i'd partition the hard drive making one partition for the easier / installable linux (which will create the bootloader which is one of the more difficult steps), have a swap partition, and then leave the last partition for gentoo. so since its what i'd do, its what i'd recommend you do.. but :shrug: no one asked me ^_^ lol
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, this is really cool, I'm online with my minimal boot cd (I still haven't been able to instal) Anyways, I started reading the hand book and it seems that the "minimal" install is not meant to be installed... *shrug, at least thats what it said, I can't copy the exact words because I can not copy and paste. Oh well, I guess I'll just get a full install of ubuntoo from my friend.

p.s. I just saw what you wrote Anarchy (I'm not used to viewing web pages in CLI lol). Yea, like I said, I've never done this before, so I don't really have any preferences. Right now I'm just trying to get something small and easy installed. I'm using a 4 gig ipod flash drive as my install hard drive, lol, so I don't have much space to work with. I'm getting a 250g HDD in the mail, soon, and once I get that, I'll put a try to install a bigger distro of linux.

p.p.s This prob looks really bad, because the lines that "links" is letting me use are about 15 char wide and I'm not hitting enter, so I can only see the last few words I'm writing :P.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

nah, it actually looks pretty good. but using links is kind of annoying.. lol
and yea, i remember that about the minimal install not being supported. mm..why dont u just download an iso? lol
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
nah, it actually looks pretty good. but using links is kind of annoying.. lol
and yea, i remember that about the minimal install not being supported. mm..why dont u just download an iso? lol

I did download an iso, the minamal install was an iso. I just didn't wanted to download a 2 gig install, that fits on 2 cd's. Just to download a test OS, that I'm going to delete soon anyways. I just wanted something quick and easy to learn a little about linux, before I attempt to make my complete switch. Plus I'm a little low on Hard drive room right now :P. But I guess nothing worth doing is easy. I should probably start downloading a full distro, but I just need something that will fit on a 4 gig hard drive (since I don't want to mess with my main drive, for fear of loosing data and I have no way of backing it up).
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol are you disregarding live cd's?
when i asked why you dont download an iso i was more referring to ubuntu.. or kubuntu. either are pretty well put together. and they're the same thing, different face. lol
and i'm not sure how big an install is, but its possible itd be < 4GB if you did decide to install it..
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
lol are you disregarding live cd's?
when i asked why you dont download an iso i was more referring to ubuntu.. or kubuntu. either are pretty well put together. and they're the same thing, different face. lol
and i'm not sure how big an install is, but its possible itd be < 4GB if you did decide to install it..

No, I actually downloaded a live CD a few days ago. Gentoo.... I went to install it and the gui installer frooze at step 6, every time. I tried the CLI installer and I'd partition my hard drive, a 1mb swap and a 3g ext3. Everything seemed to go fine setting up the .xml file, but then when it got to the install part it messed up. The Gentoo manual said that PPC install wasn't completely supported or something.
I am planning on installing ubuntu, but I know someone that has the cd's, so I don't want to download that since I'll prob get the cd's from him in a day or two. I just wanted to test something else out. But I guess my choices are extremely limited lol.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mars wrote:
I actually downloaded a live CD a few days ago. Gentoo.... I went to install it and the gui installer frooze at step 6, every time.
I'm kind of partial to Knoppix myself...
http://www.knoppix.org/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts