subdomain as home computer ip

• Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

(please read everything and not just link me to dyndns)
I have used dyndns a little and its quite cool, but I would rather have something like "home.bozebo.com" link to my home computer, where bozebo.com is running on a dedicated server I have access to (run by a friend). I am almost certain it is possible to alter the dns servers on the dedicated box to apply dynamic dns of home.bozebo.com to my ip (of course I would need some kind of update software (my router only allows dyndns) on my computer). At the moment I have a redirect but I want the cool setup so that home.bozebo.com/dir/file.ext doesnt go to 000.000.000.000/dir/file.ext if you get what I mean (so, not a redirect). Does anyone know how I can do this? I saw the DNS zone templates which I am curious of, but I really don't know how to go about this. All the articles I can find discuss using the dyndns service, and I dont like my "bozebo.game-host.org", at least not as much as home.bozebo.com. You are probably wondering why I dont just run whatever on the dedi, well the dedi is running linux and I am running windows - so, I have to test my apps for cross platform usage and I may also run more demanding things on here that would use up too much dedi resources.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Presumably you have a domain. That domain requires an authenticated DNS provider.
For example, I have a personal domain, that is authenticated by Jump Domain. The only service they provide is, renewal of domain, and the ability to alter dynamically who my primary and secondary DNS providers are.

Here's where it gets sticky. You must have at least 2 authenticated DNS providers for your domain in order to provide services. While running your own Bind server is fine, you still require a second one, or those changes will not take effect.

There are DNS Swap Meets, essentially people on the net who exchange DNS service, so if you offer it for others they will be your secondary, etc. Of course, that means they will want more professional setups as most of them will be small businesses.

Now, if you can set up DNS with your connection, and your friend with his, then that would cover the primary/backup requirement, and you can run your own DNS.

Failing that, pay someone.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Er, no that isn't what i was talking about.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats the only way you can point a domain to your friends server. Or at least how it works. There is another webpage that offers a free plan for DNS, http://www.zoneedit.com/, it allows you to point a domain to your home IP. A little tricky to get setup at first but it works, I've used it for a few months with no problems besides my ip changing.

If this still isn't what your talking about you might want to explain it another way.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just read your post again, and perhaps I still don't understand what you are asking.

So let me try this; I will re-hash your request and you tell me if it's right.

1. You want your host.domain (home.bozebo.com) to point to your home machine. Your domain (and I imagine http://www., is being hosted on some dedicated machine you allude to).

2. You need for your home machine ot use the DNS qualified home. hostname on the domain but being at 'home' it's not a dedicated IP, thus the cause for concern.

3. You mention something about not wanting a redirect for the uri.

Let's look at 1 and 2.
1. Your friend presumably runs DNS and has not only his own DNS server ut also the services of a secondary -- either that or he is using DNS services for your (and his) domain(s).

2. It's trivial to utilize dyndns to set up something like bozebo.dyndns.com (as an example) which of course is updated via software on your home machine so the IP stays current with the DNS name. Ergo, your friend can CNAME home to your dynamic DNS name.
Such as;
home IN CNAME bozebo.dyndns.com. <- the last period is required.

Now any request for home.bozebo.com will go to bozebo.dyndns.com but will display home.bozebo.com in the address line if browsed to directly. (You just have to make sure your web server software is set up to answer requests for home.bozebo.com.)

Now for 3.
As for the URI, you cannot assign uri's in DNS. Anything that follows the URL is handled by the web server itself.
I am still not sure what problem you are trying to solve. if you set up the web server software properly, it will answer requests for home.bozebo.com and respond with the same url in the browser.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts