Super Karamba

  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 163
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

im trying to compile Super Karamba .35
but it wont let me. When i try to do

./configure --prefix=/usr

I get an error

Quote:
[cody@devilkicker superkaramba-0.35]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking for -p flag to install... yes
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
[cody@devilkicker superkaramba-0.35]$


HELP!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check you have write permissions in the directory it's trying to use...
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 325
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know which distro you're using, but sometimes gcc isn't included by default... Can you post the config.log it talks about?
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maedhros wrote:
I don't know which distro you're using, but sometimes gcc isn't included by default... Can you post the config.log it talks about?


I'd have expected the previous line to barf if gcc wasn't included though?
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 325
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finndel wrote:
I'd have expected the previous line to barf if gcc wasn't included though?

True... in that case I'd be looking for a lack of header files, like linux-headers, and possibly something to do with glibc. The log ought to help narrow it down, as well.
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maedhros wrote:
The log ought to help narrow it down, as well.


Yep, seeing the last 10 lines or so from that log file will definitely help pin it down :)

My money is still on write permissions though ;-)
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

While it may very well be a permissions issue, I would lean more towards a library problem. Something like libc either not installed or the path incorrect for that user.

Of course, examining output.log will shed the much needed light onto this.

Cheers.
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 184
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
[cody@devilkicker superkaramba-0.35]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr


you'll need root to install in /usr ;)
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

aeon wrote:
Quote:
[cody@devilkicker superkaramba-0.35]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr


you'll need root to install in /usr ;)


You know, I have never tried, though I am fairly certain that the configure itself can be run as any user -- the make install needs to be run as root if you intend to install it outside of userland. (/usr, in this case)

I guess I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure... but then, I have always done it as root. ;)

Cheers.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 325
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
You know, I have never tried, though I am fairly certain that the configure itself can be run as any user -- the make install needs to be run as root if you intend to install it outside of userland. (/usr, in this case)

I have. :)

./configure and make only modify anything in the current directory, so it is perfectly acceptable (and some would say recommended) to run them as a normal user, and then su -c 'make install' for when you need extra permissions.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maedhros wrote:
Daemonguy wrote:
You know, I have never tried, though I am fairly certain that the configure itself can be run as any user -- the make install needs to be run as root if you intend to install it outside of userland. (/usr, in this case)

I have. :)

./configure and make only modify anything in the current directory, so it is perfectly acceptable (and some would say recommended) to run them as a normal user, and then su -c 'make install' for when you need extra permissions.


I thought as much. (Hence the reference to make install).

Thanks for the clarification -- though if I were any sort of true geek, I would have immediately attempted it on one of my machines. ;)

/me turns in his 'geek card'.

Cheers.
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 184
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You know, I have never tried, though I am fairly certain that the configure itself can be run as any user -- the make install needs to be run as root if you intend to install it outside of userland. (/usr, in this case)


my bad..

What version of gcc are you using? Superkaramba may require an older version, you might be using gcc 3.4.X whereas superkaramba might require 3.3.
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 163
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking at the config.log file and i found out that i didn't have the gcc compiler installed. so i downloaded it and then tryed it again. and it worked.

Then i said that i was missing python.h header file. but i have worked with python before so i know were to get that.

But it kind of sucked because evertime it downloaded python-devel. i would not let me install it. i even tryed forcing it. Then i started to look around on my cd and i found that Mandrake uses "libpython-devel" LOL.

So I installed that and now i have super Karamba up and running .

Thanks :D
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jerrek wrote:
Maedhros wrote:
I don't know which distro you're using, but sometimes gcc isn't included by default... Can you post the config.log it talks about?


I'd have expected the previous line to barf if gcc wasn't included though?


Well I stand corrected - lol.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.