SuSe 10.1 32bit on Thinkpad T60

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I get SuSe Linux on the laptop and it installs but the video drivers are garbage.

So I get the ATI drivers from the internet and I follow the directions and now it says that the xorg.config is incomplete. aticonfig seems all command line, no graphical setup? The command line directions are like a dictionary

It also only have FireFox 1.5.0.7 and I got the firefox 2.0 package but there is no documentation. The README just says check out the release notes. Executing ./firefox from the folder loads firefox 1.5.0.7

YAST doesn't have firefox 2.0, where are the directions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

what repo(s) are you using? / have you added any? repos
the repos i have are inst-source-debug and inst-source-extra (for some reason the inst-source repo doesn't work for 10.2), all on download.opensuse.org, packman, guru, schiele, wesnoth, ati, and nvidia. theres a link to the ati "how to" for installing the drivers, but in case y ou dont get around to it its http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/ati-installer-HOWTO.html give that a try and see if it works.
do you get to a desktop? or is it completely command line? i'm thinking you do get something graphical based on your firefox statement. but if you add some repos and still dont have firefox 2 (i dont know which one would have FF2, it comes installed on 10.2 which i recommend you updating to ;)), then to run the one you downloaded instead of ./firefox try sh firefox
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a gui until I messed with the X drivers to get it from 1024x768 to 1040x1500.

Yast only had 1.5.0.7 as an update package for 10.1.

I haven't added any additional Yast repositories yet which is probably my problem. Let me get to work today and I'll play with it.

I am moving into a new office so It may not be till 9 - 10 am.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet. i want to go to work where i have an office :( but i guess thats why i'm going to college? lol try opening your xorg.conf file back up and make sure under the display adapter the driver is vesa and see if you can reset the resolution back to where it worked. that should fix any display problems you have. yast can be run from CL tho if you just wanted to do that. just su for the privileges and then enter yast2 and voila. it takes off. although, you could download the dvd RC1 of suse 10.2 ^_^ i'm tellin ya, they're doing good things with KDE and GNOME.
what time zone are you in?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eastern Time. NYC/Philadelphia/Boston
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet.
any luck?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...you kind of died here. lol
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ended up hosing my Vista install so I wiped out the entire drive and remade the partitions. My SuSe partition is now an empty space.

I want to put 10.2, but they only have the DVD as a torrent and I can't download torrents at work. And I keep forgetting to download it at home.

But I hate bittorrent because its so frickin slow.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea..it is really annoying that they dont have the dvd on http/ftp..
but if you start it before bed its usually done by the time you wake up ^_^

lol you could always download a program like kanaa reminder to remind you to download it when you get home..?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately for a 3.8GB DVD, it most likely won't be done. When I did 10.1 I downloaded one from torrent and one with Flashgot using the regular link.

Flashgot had it in 3 hours, the torrent was only 20% after 2 days and there were no complete seeds. There used to be a big Torrent message board and the rule was you needed to seed to at least 300%. The more you seeded after 300% you were given points to be eligible for "premier" status. Access into certain groups that took requests and the like. Lasted for years until it was taken down.

Then that was reborn into an encrypted message board, which was by invite only. Even the torrent files and the files we downloaded were all encrypted. You had to send a personal email to the torrent owner to get the keys to unencrypt everything. That lasted for a little while, but then somebody got pinched for getting files on that site and distributing them elsewhere and then rolled on the site. Poor rat, he had an unfortunate accident. Shot himself cleaning his gun, 9 times in the head.... What a pity...

But without that sort of community, torrents don't work. You can't threaten someone with "Seed to 300% or get banned."
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah wow...that was a pretty violent story.
hahah...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's nothing. Movie studios have been known to employ certain individuals in need of Anger Management therapy to thwart piracy.

Ya know, those torrent files are huge. You'd think they could get the data overhead down. Lets see if this can finish before Thursday night football ends.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol nice.. otherwise you could go the horrible 5 cd "please insert disk #" route =\ but at least itd be done in like, 40 min ^_^
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wrong. I just downloaded 3.4GB in like an hour and a half. I think my internet got faster going from a Netgear FVS124G to an Actiontec MI424WR.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet. any problems with 10.2?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't have any blank DVDs at home :-(

Stealing some from work and I will burn it and try it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah...nice. 8-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts