Suse 9.2 drivers

• mckimat
  • Born
  • Born
  • mckimat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm new to linux but i have taken the first step to find out if i can find something better than windows and have installed suse 9.2.

But i'm having trouble with finding drivers for laptop, expecally the video card. I've gone to the manufatures web site with hop they would have supporting drivers. But of course they don't. Is there a global linux site where i can get drivers for my laptop. Its a Pavilion zd8002ap?

matt
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you getting any GUI at all? Is it coming up, albeit in low resolution? If yes, then your video subsystem is working -- it has most probably identified your card. The problem would be with increasing your resolution.
Identify the video card contained, then research said card to determine max resolution. (Your card is most likely a Geforce 440 MX)

You may then use sax2 to adjust resolution, IIRC.

Good luck.
  • mckimat
  • Born
  • Born
  • mckimat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers :D

Yeah, u were right it was just a matter of finding where to go to set the resolution.
I managed to navigate thought this new environment, I’m like a duck out of water when it comes to navigating through suse. But after filtering thought the help guide I discovered that I need to go to sux2 applet to do the graphics settings. FYI its a ATI mobility Radeon X600, I haven't had a chance to test run it's performance but I’m told its a ripper.

I think i'm stating to get the hang of swimming around in suse.

:?: I guess my next question is setting up the dial up. I followed the user quid and sound my way to the control center and right down to my network settings but when i go to modem set it up it ask for super root privileges or something of that nature. I can't seem to get into this mode.

Sorry these must sound like lam questions, I’m just so used to using Windows where everything was at my finger tips.

Regards

Matt
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is probably asking you to be root or have superuser privs -- which basically amounts to root. :)

Are you not logged in as root? Can you su to root? (su -) ?

In order to set up hardware and a VTUN device you may very well have to be root.

If it is your box, you should have set a root user password. Simply su (switch user) to root.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts