Suse Linux

• TI3STO
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TI3STO
  • Loc: England, UK.. West Yorkshire.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Guys.

I have had Suse Linux partinioned with Xp on my pc for over a year now and havent done anything with it, i really would like to get it up and running and actually know how to install things onto it, i have a few questions which im sure are very noobish to all Linux users, but we all have to start somewhere, So here goes.

1) How do you install programs onto Linux, i have an installation disc for my broadband so i would need to install this to gain access to the web, so any help with this, much appreicated.

Thats my main question at the mo, but im sure ill find more problems on the way.

Another thing, Whats Konqueror, it sounds like its the heart of a Linux system, some info on this would be nice.

If you think there are any other things i need to know also, then please let me know... thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have cable or DSL? With DSL you might need some kind of PPPoE client, with cable you should just be able to plug it in and go.
  • TI3STO
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TI3STO
  • Loc: England, UK.. West Yorkshire.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, Im not 100% sure which one it is, its just a black modem next to my pc running at 2Mb, pluged in via Usb.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

USB is a whole other drawer of forks. I'm not very familiar with the interworkings of Linux and networking over USB, but I would advise you to switch over to a network card setup of your modem had the capability.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

With regards to your second question with SuSe you would install it via YAST. Or you can find RPM's for SuSe online for the programs you want.

If you can't find any of those for your program (or if you prefer) you can also compile the program from source code.

I hope this helps.
  • UKMuFFiN
  • Born
  • Born
  • UKMuFFiN
  • Loc: The valleys, South Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there everyone :wink:

Konqueror is just a web browser for linux, nothing special really now firefox is around.

i know how you feel, im a linux noob myself, im keen to learn more and am using suse 9.3 (kinda), its gonna take a while to get used to but im sure it will be worth it. keep it up.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually Konqeror is the web browser installed with KDE (the window manager running in X), not Linux. :)

There should be adequate drivers for much of the USB enabled networking devices presently on the market, and a standard kernel build within SuSe should -- repeat should -- function, and capture an IP from the device (either as retransmitted external IP or dhcpd on the device -- not sure what device it is).

Installing software on any *nix system may be accomplished any number of ways.
Binary packages (RPM's, etc.), install interfaces for both apps and configuration (YUM, Yast, etc.) or source.

I am a fan of source compiling, though that is not always the choice for the faint of heart -- and I do tend to manipulate the code a bit prior to compilation. I also mainly install server nodes, not desktops.

That, in a nutshell, is the benefit of this (these) environment(s). Choice.

The 'heart' of any *nix system is not a web browser, but its kernel -- the part that tells it how to be a functioning and complete system -- a sum of its parts, one might say.

If you have additional specific queries, please ask.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts