• Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may need to mount the drive with the mount command first.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

And you may need to get dvd and mp3 codecs or players installed. The legality of that is questionable, those dang blasted copyrights.
  • baddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • baddy
  • Loc: east africa Tanzania

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks for the reply. but have another problem i have been try to find these codecs for this product i couldnt find it so please help me whithe url which i can find it i realy wanna it this stuff .
thanks once agan
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some popular mp3 players are xmms and xine, and believe it or not, I've never watched a dvd on my linux machine, normally do that on the apple laptop or the ps3.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's where Unix and Linux fall short. Making a fully functional system, that can do everything that Windows and Macs can do, take way too much effort. Watching the DVDs is one example and another problem I had was network printing, meaning the printer had an IP address was not attached to the local machine.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are basically lacking a lot of codecs and players... Give this guide a try, and then look for debian-multimedia for a couple of repositories you can add to get pretty much full function for music/video apps ;)
It is one of the regions where the different branches of linux are diverging.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you will be interested in checking these pages out:
http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/84
http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.3
after you install the given file you'll be able to add mp3, dvd, etc playability.

Don2007 wrote:
That's where Unix and Linux fall short. Making a fully functional system, that can do everything that Windows and Macs can do, take way too much effort. Watching the DVDs is one example and another problem I had was network printing, meaning the printer had an IP address was not attached to the local machine.

i have no idea about network printers >.< but in windows you have to install a dvd player program which adds mpeg2 support so other programs, such as wmp, can play dvds. on a default windows install, you can't play a dvd. in linux, you also have to install a dvd playing program. just thought i'd point that out ;]
you also have to install motherboard, network, audio, etc. drivers in windows in order for the system to be usable. this requirement doesn't exist so much in linux which imo is quite nice >.< usually the only drivers you have to worry about are video drivers for your nvidia/ati card.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The way I see it is, the install process is more user friendly in Windows. Unix and Linux could be right there as well. It shouldn't take much more for someone to make it happen. I just don't understand what is causing the delay.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't exactly say that. Installing each OS has the partitioning and formatting in common, but the differences between windows and linux is the extra software. In windows, you get all the games and wmp and IE and stuff all by default, if you want to add or remove anything you have to do it after the operating system is installed. But in linux, that selective install is part of the initial operating system setup. So really, they are pretty much the same, just done in a different order.

In my opinion, I like the anaconda and the fedora graphical installer better than whatever windows calls theirs.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant the the install process of the programs discussed in the previous posts, in particular the DVD viewer programs, although I guess I would say the same for the installation of the OS.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

eh.. i'd rather go to a website, click a link, open a program & click "install" than to throw in a disk and click next, i agree, next, next, no i dont want the yahoo/google toolbar, next, yes, next, don't register, don't remind me, restart the computer >.<
annoying the *plum* out of me isn't very user friendly imo lol

then one could argue that people don't know that they need to go to a website, click a link, go to a program and click install. however, why do people know that you have to spend $70 for a disk, and then click next, next, ..... ? because they've been trained into doing it with everything else microsoft & work environments push. if people had to go to a website, click a link (once), then open a program and click install in order to add software as the mainstream way of doing things, they wouldn't have to come to the forums & ask what to do ^_^
</end rant> :]
  • baddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • baddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks for good lecture i realy appriciate
thanks
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was my post helpful or do you need some more guidance?.. I do a lot of multimedia work on my linux systems.

My Image

I find linux is "usually" easier to install software on than your average windows system..

Just look for the name of the package and either use the built in package manager from the desktop (synaptic/yum etc) or command line style with apt or whatever.

Final option download source and swear at it lots while getting the dependencies all sorted.

Not a choice the "commercial" people like us to have..

Oh and I really like the way I don't have to PROVE I haven't stolen the applications all the time.. That was getting really old with windows, and enough of a reason to change if anything is.
  • baddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • baddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey janrocks thanx for the post but still i cant access mp3 and dvd as longer as i get post . but i think to change box to fedora. also have other problem whith normal audio i used kaffeine player 0.8.5 its paly well when first time i opened , when i open it to forwad the track its logout the sys. so please help me up whith problem i have never expirince this kind of problem in my box
thanks
reards
baddy
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you let us know what steps you took attempting to get multimedia working?
you'd probably want use specifically an audio player for audio files. kaffeine is more of a video playing application. i'd recommend xmms or rhythmbox. amarok is another choice but i find the program to react slowly & freeze up a bit (i have ~4000 songs).
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

There seem to be some things missing from researching suse and codecs etc..

This would probably be a good start. http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/sourceforg ... .i686.html

and I install faac faad too, along with lots of other things.

Everything seems to be available, but not in the "official" (read stripped out for the USA) repositories.

Exaile player looks interesting, and for dvd I would use totem-xine. You will need to find the libdvdcss/libdecss rpm, which I really can't link to here. Everything else should be covered by the w32codec pack.

Quote:
I had a similar problem with 10. I have a DVD Rom drive on my laptop and I was unable to view any DVD's. I also has installed libcodecs but that did not fix it.

I was able to finally fix it by downloading and using URPMI to update mplayer. That downloaded all the depedent packages, after I installed it and rebooted it worked.
--~ worth a try.

The debian base seems more developed for multimedia in general. It could be down to the users as suse/redhat/fedora seem to be more business focused.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts