switching OS

• meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, i want to switch my os it windows XP, i have the CD and all, but i cant installit on my current linux system, i tried rebooting and running from the CD but nothing happens, i am running on Linux RedHat 7.1, please help me

Meisam
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've set the "boot first" or whatever it is called to boot from cd first, right? Then, I guess you tried to boot from the cd and came to no avail. Try doing that again and choose to install it using the recovery console, then I believe you type in:
" format c: /fs:ntfs " without the quotes, and replace the c with the drive letter that you are installing windows from. After that I believe you should reboot and just install windows as you normally would.
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

i realy dont understand what you are saying :-(
i dont havce a c: drive on my system , because everything was cleared out when i installed it
  • masterix
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

try this command: fdisk/mbr and after that reboot and install from CD. It should work ;-)
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the error i get:

unable to load /mbr
  • masterix
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you get an error try to repair or remove it. Have U tried my command? Make bootable windows disckettes(I don't know how I should write it down) boot from it and try again. It might help, but if not tell us about it :)
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

doesnt work :-( this is what i had tried: fdisk /mbr
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't there an option where you can delete all partitions and create new ones during booting up from cd? I always used it.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

fdisk /mbr is for the Windows version of fdisk - it makes no sense to your Linux version. :wink:

Anyway, what do you mean 'nothing happens'? Is the computer booting from the Windows CD, or is it just going straight into Linux?
  • masterix
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="Maedhros"]fdisk /mbr is for the Windows version of fdisk[/qoute] I said that he should make windows boot disc before ;-)
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dude. Your very confusing. Repeat your problem.
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, here goes:

i have a laptop, which used to have windows ME installed on it, i ater installed linux to test it out, i now want to switch back to windows, i cant do that, i have tried rebooting and trying to run from the CD but i just get a blank screen when i reboot it, when i firsted installed linux, it removed EVERYTHING. so what sould i do now, and i cant make boot disks 'cause i dont have a floppy drive, well i do but its messed up. what should i do?
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

someone please help
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
and i cant make boot disks 'cause i dont have a floppy drive, well i do but its messed up. what should i do?

make a bootable cd
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont have a CD burner either
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to do a network install using boot floppies. Check with your distribution's website, however I know that FBSD has this available.
It installs the BSD kernel and networking which permits you to go out via the internet connection you already have.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may have had it where the manufacturer of your pc had some of the info for recovery purposes directly on the hard drive (thats how my friends' is, theres no recovery disks b/c its all on his hard drive).. what kind of laptop do you have? also, the disk you have.. is it recovery disks for your pc or is it an actual Windows cd? also, if it has a usb port then you could either A. find someone who has a cd burner that connects via usb and use that to burn a boot rom, and they even have external floppy drives that connect via the usb port but at the staples in my area (which i happen to work at), they're $54.99. however, here at tigerdirect.com they're on the front page for $23.99: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ?CatId=287
and $23.00 at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProduct ... rder=price
it would be understandable however, if you didn't want to spend more moeny to fix this problem but if you brought it somewhere, they'd charge you more then the price of the drive to fix it ;) lol then if you did this you could go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download a boot disk for your version of windows.
hope this helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts