TBS

• Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist
  • Loc: Manchester

Post 3+ Months Ago

Triple boot systems are fine as long as you dont use SuSE! i had to re-install ubuntu because of that! i thoroughly HATE KDE now. :p
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was just tri-booting XP, SuSE, and Ubuntu and then i was tri-booting XP, SuSE, and Fedora. Now i'm tri-booting XP, Gentoo, and Fedora just b/c i've never actually successfully installed / used Gentoo. so what exactly are you talking about? lol

and what does KDE have to do with SuSE? you can get the KDE desktop on pretty much any distro of linux that has a gui desktop available. KDE is a desktop environment and is nothing specific to SuSE. its not even the default desktop anymore, gnome is. lol kde's website is http://www.kde.org/

so like i said, ? what ?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Better question: What does the bootloader have to do with the distribution? The bootloader doesn't care if you're booting Linux, Windows or BeOS.

The price of beans in China is how much?

More constructively, you're going to have to configure your bootloader (LILO, Grub) to recognize your other distributions. Just for the record, many *nix systems are dual, triple even quadruple boot systems or more (how many different kernels can you boot into?). I have 3 systems here which can boot into no less than 6 different kernels at any given time (used for kernel hacking).

However, you're right on one point; KDE sucks (memory) - however, Konqueror does run faster than Firefox. Being like quite a few other Linux users, I'm prone to take what I want out of a package and throw the rest away.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

its true. the bootloader is your biggest ally / enemy. lol
mm...on my suse 10.1 beta install, it took firefox at LEAST 15 seconds to load...that was just insanely long. and my computer is in no way slow. in firefox it takes maybe 3? that bugged the heck out of me. but it has all of the extensions i <3 so i stick with it, lol.
  • Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist

Post 3+ Months Ago

well then maybe SuSE just hates my computer.. lol
i used SuSE 9.1 i downloaded... but i HATE its GUI it itrritates me...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

why would you use suse 9.1? and where did you download it? i used that like > 2 yrs ago? ish...that was the last version of suse produced before novell took over and that was a while ago, lol. its rather outdated too. why wouldn't you use suse 10? or 10.1 beta?
  • Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist

Post 3+ Months Ago

well every time i see SuSE i have to pay for it.... if you dont mind me asking where can i get SuSE 10? AND is there any way to disable to boot loader it installs by itself? cuz that was my problem with SuSE 9.1... it used its own loader and ignored GRUB
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you already have a bootloader installed? if so, for what? the only problem i'd see with that, is you'd have to figure out how to add an entry to your current bootloader so that you could boot to suse. also, suse 10 uses an updated version of the one from 9.1. you can download from here if you want the released version: http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version or from here if you want the beta version: http://en.opensuse.org/Development_Version
  • Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist

Post 3+ Months Ago

well heres my situation:
I installed windows XP and soon after installed linux, i installed the debian-based ubuntu and i got on very well with it. it had installed GRUB after i manually partitioned my hard drive to FAT32 and EXT3 (FAT32 and not NTSC because on NTSC you cant write to the windows partition).
I had no problems at all till i installed SuSE 9.1... in the past i had used SuSE 9.3 when it came out but quickly got annoyed because of the code. But i was a kid then.
SuSE had installed its own bootloader without my consent and it overrode GRUB and Ubuntu became completely inacessible! i had to re-install ubuntu and destroy SuSE... i hated it anyway after thay incident lol. so yeah... Im not that new to linux and i have basic knowldge and substantial experience but in the end my weakness is bootloaders, how can i fix this?

P.S.. Thanks for the download sites i really appreciate it.

P.P.S.. What i said about me hating KDE was wrong... since i used to have Fedora Core on KDE and i liked it somewhat, but GNOME is way better.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

so your ubuntu partition DID still exist after you installed suse? because if so, you simply had to mount the partition (if it wasn't mounted already), then go to /mounted/path/boot/grub and open up the grub.conf file. in there, you would find the entries in the bootloader you needed for ubuntu, which would have consisted (probably) of: a title
root (hd0,#)
/boot/kernel-* root=/dev/hda#
/boot/initrd-image
something to that effect. once you got that information, you just had to add it to suse's bootloader configuration (which would be located in a similar folder).

lol oh, and NTSC isn't a filesystem, its a type of encoding for DVDs. *NTFS, is what you meant. :)

mm...ubuntu's bootloader is ugly :( lol
  • Code_alchemist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Code_alchemist

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops sorry.... i meant NTFS... i was at college so sue me lmao... tired too.. thnx dude
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code_alchemist wrote:
oops sorry.... i meant NTFS... i was at college so sue me lmao... tired too.. thnx dude

lol nice...i know how it is. np
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code_alchemist wrote:

lol nice...i know how it is. np

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts