Telnet Commands

• Swee
  • Student
  • Student
  • Swee
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I am trying to login remotely using telnet but whenever i do that, it says "connection to port failed". can anyone tell me how can i do a telnet remote login?

With Regards,
sweee
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Swee wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to login remotely using telnet but whenever i do that, it says "connection to port failed". can anyone tell me how can i do a telnet remote login?

With Regards,
sweee

Uh..... Well, have you stopped to consider the node you are attempting to gain access to does not (and rightfully so) accept telnet sessions?

Telnet is, by RFC, port 23. Chances are any sysad worth his salt has disabled telnet, as it is an insecure form of access employing no secure channel communications.

The preferred method is SSH, or secure shell. SSH is actually a suite of three utilities - slogin, ssh, and scp - that are secure versions of the earlier UNIX utilities, rlogin, rsh, and rcp. SSH commands are encrypted and secure in several ways. Both ends of the client/server connection are authenticated using a digital certificate, and passwords are protected by being encrypted. SSH uses RSA public key cryptography for both connection and authentication. Encryption algorithms include Blowfish, DES, and IDEA. IDEA is the default.

That means, you should try to ssh to the box instead of telnet.

Cheers.

(BTW, this does not mean it will work... it is entirely plausible that all shell connectivity has been disabled; YMMV)
  • Swee
  • Student
  • Student
  • Swee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Since SSH is safer. How can i use SSH to login remotely then? Because i've to change some of the configuration of the webalizer remotely. Thus, i need SSH to do it. How can i do that? really blurr...

with Regards,
Swee
  • Swee
  • Student
  • Student
  • Swee

Post 3+ Months Ago

do i need to call up my webserver or isp to enable the remote login? it seems like my webalizer doesnt allow remote login..
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Swee wrote:
do i need to call up my webserver or isp to enable the remote login? it seems like my webalizer doesnt allow remote login..

I am not sure, but you may have several issues.
First, you want to "log into your webalizer"; webalizer being a software package which is a log analysis program.
Never having run this, I can only assume it produces output as HTML, converging the data into a human-digestible format.
If this is the case, is it maintained by your hosting company? If so, they may have a front end (web site) you use to manipulate the configuration options they have left available to you. If it is something you loaded, (and I can't see this being the case, since you would then know how to configure it) then you would require some form of shell access to manually configure the package.
SSH is really the only option; I doubt sincerely your hosting provider has 'telnet' open. You will have to request SSH access, as most providers do not hand it out like candy.
A third and more obscure possibility is, you grab your logs from the active web server and try to analyze them locally... again, I doubt this is the case, since you would then have the box on your proverbial lap, and not require a shell.

Any of this make sense?
Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts