The Switch

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am making the switch to linux and have a p3 650 with 64mb of ram where should i start and what should i learn in order to use linux
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, a good place to start might be, The Linux Installation and Getting Started Guide by as well as http://www.linuxdoc.org.

As for paperback books, "Linux for Non-Geeks" by Rickford Grant is generally recognized as decent.

The problem is, for each person, learning is a bit different. Ergo, what one finds valuable in a book, may not be for another.

IMHO, the best way to learn, is to do. Load up the (spare) machine, and go to town. What distribution you pick is entirely up to you -- do NOT be swayed by what people will undoubtedly rant about on this thread. You do your research into the varied distributions and YOU decide which one would be best for you to begin with.
Here's a comprehensive list;
http://www.linuxhq.com/dist.html

Don't be afraid, once you begin the journey, to stop and ask directions from time to time. :)

Cheers, and good luck.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy is right, don't let people who just say their favorite distribution make your decision. When I first started out I moved pretty much to every distribution, and through doing that I learned a lot about Linux in general.

But when you do choose your distro you should first decide what your going to be using it for, and what you want out of the box.

If this is your first install and you want it to be painless you'll probably want a graphical installer, that limits the number of possible distributions a lot.

But don't worry too much about the differences between distribtutions too much. I've found that although each has a few quirks once you get used to it their pretty much all the same. The difference is in how easy it is to setup, and how easy it is to maintain after.

Good luck.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i have decided to go with mandrake linux the problem is my spare pc only has 64mb of ram. 10.0 is way to slow does anyone know where i can download a 9.x version of mandrake linux. i have looked but cant find anything.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

search: mandrake 9.2 download

although the problem you may have is finding active links for the download..
however, i've found on this page: http://www.linuxcompatible.org/download.php?det=35
about half way down it has links to download iso's.. the links are titled: #1 #2 #3
i've clicked on #1 to see if it worked, and the download for the iso came up so i'm assuming that you will be able to successfully download all cd iso's form this site.

good luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts