The Unix/Linux basics

• POPOPO
  • Born
  • Born
  • POPOPO
  • Loc: South Padre Island, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just signed up for a course at a local techincal college Introduction to Unix/Linux. The text book has Fedora 1 software.
I am looking for an online tutoring forum where I can practice using commands/syntax, etc. The classroom time is very limited. Is there a way to install the software on one of my personal computers. As I understand there is a hardware minimum. I appreciate any help any of you can share.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I am looking for an online tutoring forum where I can practice using commands/syntax, etc

Like do you mean run the commands on the web?

if that is the case i dont know of any on line....but you could get a shell account for free. With Telnet or something like that

one i like is
freeshell.net

Good Luck
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

in order to install Fedora you'd need to partition your hard drive in a way where it had a certain amount of unpartitioned, free space. what os are you running currently? also, what is your hard drive status? (like how many do you have, how big are they). you can have a dual boot system running windows and linux off the same hard drive, or windows off one hard drive and linux off another.. you just have to install windows first. but pc specs please :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

If all you need to practice is command syntax (CLI) without the x11 framework (GUI-based xorg, xfree86 running a WM like gnome or KDE) then your pc requirements will be very slim. If you are able to install the OS without the gui environment, you'll need very little overhead.
Should be an nofb option or something to boot directly to command line.

In that case, grab a copy of partition magic (or the like) segment some of your drive space off, and install. I am sure FCx installs a boot manager in the boot sector, so you can swap back and forth at boot time between Linux and Windows.

Have at it. ;)

Good luck.
  • POPOPO
  • Born
  • Born
  • POPOPO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with xp home edition. C drive has 15 megs, D drive has 65 megs. Mem is 512.
I did not plan to use this laptop for linux/unix. I have a pc with AMD 750 that has windows 98. I could format that hard drive and install a dual OS or maybe I'll use it mainly for Linux/Unix. Again thanks....
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol well you COULD run linux on both. i believe FCx gives you the option to install the LILO or GRUB boot loader but i just go with the default that it sets up (hence the reason i'm unsure) but i like LILO better.. i think. lol but if you had linux on both pcs then you could spend even MORE time on linux and less in M$ Windows.. but if you have the option of FC1 or win98...i would definitely go with FC1. lol esp since it doesn't have such a thing as the BSOD ^_^
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well then theres the obvious other choice and that is a LiveCD. Most of the benefits of a Linux distro off without install. I havn't heard of a FC LiveCD but there are some based off of it. Also if your just trying to learn to use the shell, any LiveCD would work since bash is bash no matter what distribution you use. There might be a few different commands though, but most of them will probably be similar.

And if you have a DVD drive you can download and install a LiveDVD which has a LOT of software preloaded so you might like that too.

Good luck.
  • POPOPO
  • Born
  • Born
  • POPOPO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Installed Fedora in one of my AMD 750, works fine. There are some glitches. Like sometime when I go to log off the program freezes. But overall, I am getting good results. Thanks everyone.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts