is there amsn messenger installer for redhat 8?

• diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ey guys can you give me a link where to download amsn messenger for redhat 8 cause everytime i asked google he does always give me for mandrake, fedora and etc. tnxs a lot guys in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

redhat 8?!?!?!?

why? lol

can you find much of anything for redhat 8? becaused redhat stopped supporting redhat 9 about two years ago so why are you using redhat 8? lo
anyways... here you go: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you bro...I appreciate it. Actually why i'm using redhat 8 it's because..is in the package on the book that i bought... maybe after i familiarise this version i would step to version 9... ey guys is there anyway to access windows share files w/o using samba?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

diet wrote:
is there anyway to access windows share files w/o using samba?

No. Samba is the open source CIFS/SMB server which is what Windows file sharing uses.

When you upgrade, go straight to Fedora Core 5. RHL 9 has been outdated for some time (I was sure it was longer than 2 years). RHL 8 is just plain archaic.

Once you do upgrade your operating system, you'll find that you have no use for amsn. Gaim is installed by default and works great. In fact, you probably have gaim on there already (though a very old, somewhat unstable, version). Gaim can handle AIM, YIM, MSN, ICQ and just about any other IM service, including custom ones like jabber.
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, aMSN does have it's uses - it has the MSN "nudge" feature, and what's more, there is no time limit between nudges, so you can annoy the hell out of your friends running MSN on windows! :twisted:
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
Actually, aMSN does have it's uses - it has the MSN "nudge" feature, and what's more, there is no time limit between nudges, so you can annoy the hell out of your friends running MSN on windows! :twisted:

Hahahahahaha! They deserve what they get!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
When you upgrade, go straight to Fedora Core 5. RHL 9 has been outdated for some time (I was sure it was longer than 2 years). RHL 8 is just plain archaic.

not according to the internet.. lol http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1562528,00.asp

but yea...they're both just ooold. its like running windows 95, hahah
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry i didn't read the last time you post a reply but anyway I got it, what if i upgrade from redhat 8 to fedora 5 as what you've said... is the gaim compatible with msn? because all my friends are using msn in windows. For a newbie like me i had a lot of question, I hope you guys will understand but don't worry I slowly understand the concept.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, gaim is compatible with msn. and aim. and yahoo. and ...lol :]

i wouldn't recommend doing an upgrade, but i'd backup everything you want to keep and then do a fresh install. i'm not even sure itd be possible to upgrade from RH8 to FC5...lol either way, it would probably cause hell.
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol.... yah! what i mean is change the O.S., im downloading now the fedora 5. :D
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, good :]

i had to redownload the dvd iso earlier. took about 1 1/2 hrs. lol

but right now i'm using suse 10.1....its actually pretty nice. i'm impressed.
except for the installer. Fedora took about 20 min to install...suse took about 65. thats just wrong..
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow! that's more than an hour bro..... but anyway that's good as what you've said it's pretty nice. Me, I need to learn more before i step to another OS so that i'ts easy for me to understand by then...Gosh,I think it takes a halfday to download this FC5?! but anyway it's ok.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, thats how a lot of people do it.
i'm more of "eh, i'm bored..."
*formats hard drive*
*installs new distro*
*doesn't like it and reinstalls windows*

hahah..i've learned that multiple partitions is the best way to go.
right now i'm tri-booting windows xp pro | fedora core 5 | suse 10.1

mm..i would be led to believe, that FC5 would be easier to use than RH8.
because if not, that would just not make sense.. lol

dude thats a long time...but its worth it :]
it took me 2hrs 15 min to download suse, i was kinda pissed.. lol
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

yah! that's what i like too keep on exploring but tri-booting?! wow...I love to try that. so what Os did you first install? or any of the 3 Os is ok?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you're going to boot more than one OS and you're going to boot windows, it is always the first one you install. it just makes life a helluvalot easier.
when i FIRST experienced linux, i installed suse 9.1 and dual booted that with windows, but i was fairly lost and deleted it shortly thereafter. lol but i stuck with it which is really what you have to do with linux if you're going to get anywhere with it.
lol and yea...it is fun to tri-boot ^_^
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey bro I already burn the FC5, I inserted the cd1 for booting but it didn't boot...why?is there something wrong during my burning? i burned it in "DATA DISC " is that correct?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, that's not correct. You need to "burn image to disc" then select the ISO file you want to burn.
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys i already boot from fedora but after I press enter to set up there a screen appear welcome to fedora but after that it prompt the msg "not found fedora cd", then i try to insert the cd2 but still they same. I burned the cd2 in data disc...is that correct?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

no.....you have to burn them all as "burn image to disk".
you do NOT want to burn ANY of them as a data disk.
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey i already use fedora core 5 now...tnxs bro! yah your right it's
"cool" men, And I install samba 3 rightnow then i got this msg
===========Missing Dependency: libdc1394_control.so.13 is needed by package libpostproc51
Missing Dependency: libmp3lame.so.0 is needed by package libpostproc51
Missing Dependency: libxvidcore.so.4 is needed by package libpostproc51===========

familiar with that?
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think there's something wrong with the RPM but anyway i successfully installed the samba 3... my problem now is i don't know how to access or use the samba. Is there something need activate before i can use the samba? i already go to service configuration but there's no smb box outhere.tnxs!
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Configuring samba has nothing to do with the amsn messenger. Please search google, then the forums for an answer to your question and, if you still have not found an answer, start a new topic with a title describing the problem you're having.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts