RH.

• ugh
  • ugh
  • Loc: Planet Earth, I hope.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Evening guys.

I have been searching and searching RH's website. Is RH9 stable?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out this post:

http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=31

and yes Redhat 9 is a stable version, not a beta version.
  • ugh
  • ugh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. Where did you manage to see its stable? I cannot find any information available on their website. MAny thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well they are selling the professional and standard boxes here in boxes:

http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/

so that usually means as far as I know that its a stable version. I don't think they would do that to betas.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but even though it is a final release, bear in mind that any X.0 release is bound to be buggy to an extent..

a freind of mine has been using rh 9 for two weeks now and found a few things he didnt like.

the biggest thing was that he couldnt run winex on it.. ( mainly because the winex developers arent on the ball with it yet) and a few stability problems..

he mentioned something about the restructuring of (i think) the kernal, which is allowing more resources to be freed up. and thus creating a more stable environment for the resource intensive machines.

if it were me i would at least wait for x.1 or x.2 release... imho
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that is why I usually never use the X.0 releases, even though they are stable releases. When it ends with 0 it means they made some kind of major change which is always usually accompanied by some bugs. Like I believe Redhat finally got up to Redhat 7.3, which is the most stable of the Redhat 7.X series.

That is one reason that I still use Apache 1.3.27 instead of the latest Apache 2, still giving them time to work out any bugs that develop and I am already perfectly happy with the Apache 1.3.27.
  • ugh
  • ugh

Post 3+ Months Ago

On that note though, from an official redhat source I contacted, RH9 is believed to be more stable than the past releases of 7.x and 8.x as they fix bugs in those. Also, another way of looking it, really 9 incorporates new technology, hence being an x.0 release, however in other ways, it is really an upgraded 8 release. RH claim it would be no more unstable, and perhaps even more stable, than past releases.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

of course they said that! it's called salesmanship, and they want to push
their newest product - regardless.

Don't be fooled by that, because every software company ever says the
same exact thing about a new product. I suggest you wait until it's
proven itself.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well normally software will base their version of the Major and minor numbers on the software itself. For example if there was some huge change then they would increase the "Major" number and if there was bug fixes or small changes they would increase the "minor" number. However, this system can be flawed with larger companies because of how the corporations see this as an excellent way to push their product and to get word out about it. AOL is a prime example of how they abuse this system for advertising, instead of what it really should be used for.

So in a way I do agree with Unflux, as they may just be trying to sell the product, however usually software does get better as they keep working on it, so it indeed may be more stable too. However normally if there was such major changes that it required a new "major" number, then that itself could release new bugs, which is why I usually wait until the minor numbers increase (which is where the bugs are fixed).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts