A total Linux Rookie

• ikke
  • Born
  • Born
  • ikke
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I am a 2 day newbee with Linux. I installed Fedora Core 3 on an Armada E500 and everything works great.
But I m having troubles installing and executing some files/ programs. Some installers work, others dont.
For example, I downloaded the Flash plugin on my desktop. Opened the Terminal and dragged the "Install" (from in that flash plugin folder) on the terminal, hitted ENTER and the Terminal started installing the Flash plugin with succes.

But Im having the biggest problems installing Xfree and other drivers like Jack..
On the Xfree website it says, download the Xinstall.sh, run it and let it check to see wich xfree version I need on my system. But whatever I do, I cant run the Xinstall.sh. If I drag it to my Terminal, it says: Permission denied and other stuff..

I am logged in as root.

So any help would be appreciated.

I am a total Linux rookie. I have no knowledge of scripts. I do know a little about html and actionscript. As well as shell scripting in Alias Maya. (I think its a bit like Mayas script, no?)
Anyway, thanks for the help. 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ikke
  • Born
  • Born
  • ikke

Post 3+ Months Ago

also.. I ve read that when im in a certain folder and open the Terminal and type

./configure

it should configure the configure file in that opened folder... but it doesnt.. I gives me an error saying: file not found (or something like that)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think core 3 uses XFree86 as the x-window system; I think they migrated to xorg.

If you already have a gui environment running, why are you even trying to install another one? I realize there's a language barrier here, but I am having some measure of difficulty understanding your problem.

If you are already running in a window system, you do not need to install xfree86. In fact, if you did, you would probably experience more problems, having both xorg and xfree installed.

What other problems are you having?

Cheers.
  • ikke
  • Born
  • Born
  • ikke

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi thanx for your fast reply.
The thing is: I have an Ati Radeon Mobile. And I cant change my screen resolution to anything bigger than 800x600px. I read somewhere that I need to install Xfree 3 or above to fix it so I can run on a higher screen resolution.

Another thing:
I have KDE and Gnome installed. Whe I run Linux under Gnome, I can run an RPM package with the "Package Installer" (Gnome does this automaticly) but when Im in KDE, my computer wont install these RPM packages. It just opens them and leaves me with the folder inside the rpm.

What seems to be the problem? Dont you understand my crappy english? :lol: ... Or do you have a hard time understanding my problem?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

ikke wrote:
hi thanx for your fast reply.
The thing is: I have an Ati Radeon Mobile. And I cant change my screen resolution to anything bigger than 800x600px. I read somewhere that I need to install Xfree 3 or above to fix it so I can run on a higher screen resolution.

Another thing:
I have KDE and Gnome installed. Whe I run Linux under Gnome, I can run an RPM package with the "Package Installer" (Gnome does this automaticly) but when Im in KDE, my computer wont install these RPM packages. It just opens them and leaves me with the folder inside the rpm.

What seems to be the problem? Dont you understand my crappy english? :lol: ... Or do you have a hard time understanding my problem?

I am fairly certain that any resolution possible in XFree86 version 3 is also possible in Xorg. Xorg tends to be more flexible, and should therefore meet your needs. I suggest you read up on the configuration of xorg itself; perhaps it's merely a matter of reconfiguration.
http://www.x.org/

Technically, you are not running Linux under Gnome (or KDE for that matter). KDE and Gnome are nothing more than window managers which utilize the X you have installed (in this case, Xorg) to display a GUI a particular way. Each of these packages include a great many add-ons, but they are still just window managers, none-the-less. Gnome may process file types differently than KDE -- there's really not much you can do about that. There could very well be a function within the Gnome complex which understand the rpm extension and automatically calls another function to install, while KDE does not offer this. I am not sure, since I have always installed RPM's from the command line and not the GUI. (The few times I have installed via RPM that is; I generally prefer source).
  • ikke
  • Born
  • Born
  • ikke

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thank U 8)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you do not need XFree to install your radeon drivers as radeon has released drivers for Xorg (they did that on january 17, lol). but since your using a laptop, ati's website has no available drivers for you :( so there your stuck.

as with the rpm's, when you download them, do you get the prompt for "open with: / save as.." ? because if you get the open with: system-installer-packages or something to that effect, do that and it should do this in both gnome and kde (it does on mine). otherwise, you can just open a konsole in kde, su to root and then if the rpm is on your desktop:
Code: [ Select ]
cd Desktop
rpm -ivh rpm-package-name.rpm
  1. cd Desktop
  2. rpm -ivh rpm-package-name.rpm
that will install your rpms for you and will give you little hash marks to show its progress :)

with your shell script problem, you had to change the permissions of the script before you could execute it. you dont need to be root to do this, unless you download the script while logged in as root. but open a terminal and type:
chmod a+x name-of-script.sh

of course, you have to be in the same directory as the script.
then to run it, you could do:
./name-of-script.sh
OR
sh name-of-script.sh
  1. ./name-of-script.sh
  2. OR
  3. sh name-of-script.sh

:) hope this helps, stick with it!
  • MISC/A++
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UnderGround

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a similar problem few days ago when try installing slackware on my laptop and it wont except more then 800x600, what i did is modifying my /x11/xorg.conf file and added the 1024 then it worked perfectly after my restart... however, I have ended up installing yoper....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts