TRIPPLE BOOT SYSTEM (grub / lilo)

• fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed Ubuntu in my system last 2 month replacing my mandrake...and now working smoothly (one of the best distro so far that suits me for simplicity and stability)....I have a dual boot system here....GRUB works fine with me so far. And Im planning to make it a tribooter.....[xp/ubuntu/fedora or xandros(*not free :cry:) ] have u guys tried this one...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as everything is installed properly and configured properly there should be no reason why you can't have a triple boot system.

One caveat is that you should probably prepartition with a triple boot system in mind.

If your not willing to lose everything right now I would suggest you partition what free space you have right now.

Also I haven't done a Xandros install in awhile but I think a fedora installation would be better suited for a triple boot system just because the installer is probably more tech-friendly vs. user friendly.

Your worse nightmare would be to try and install Xandros with it automagically installing it's own bootloader and/or wiping your existing Linux partitions.

HTH

Xel.
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already partitions my drives to 7. My only concern now is...Ubuntu is using GRUB..while Xandros uses LILO....and the bad part is.....xandros bootloader automatically installs it to the MBR (it may have the tendency that the two bootloader will be overriding each other)........guess I have to use fEdoRA then.

Thnkx man...
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could first install xandros and then have ubuntu over write lilo with grub and then in ubuntu modify /boot/grub/grub.conf stating on what partition xandros is in and whatever other OS you want (use the example there for booting ubuntu to help you) and you should be able to choose and boot into it from grub. just cause an OS uses a certain boot loader by default doesnt mean it requires it. i boot OSX, windows, and debian on my x86 machine with grub. you could also set it up the other way around using lilo no problem. all depends on your prefference.
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay...I'll try that one...I'll be informing the results later
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another way while installing linux install boot loader on their root partitions. Then use XOSL operating system loader.
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for the delay replay..been busy lately? XOSL? ok.......
I'll try that too...thnkx again
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
you could first install xandros and then have ubuntu over write lilo with grub and then in ubuntu modify /boot/grub/grub.conf stating on what partition xandros is in and whatever other OS you want (use the example there for booting ubuntu to help you) and you should be able to choose and boot into it from grub. just cause an OS uses a certain boot loader by default doesnt mean it requires it. i boot OSX, windows, and debian on my x86 machine with grub. you could also set it up the other way around using lilo no problem. all depends on your prefference.

i dont mean to dig up old posts, but OSX? how?

also - you wouldn't have to modify your grub.conf file, i have xp/suse/ubuntu and ubuntu was the last to be installed and it recognized all operating systems, even though i'd much rather have SuSE's boot loader (its prettier ^_^)
but since when did Xandros start charging? i know they have a couple versions of their OS which they do charge for, but last i checked they still had a free version too.
ahh, yes..they do still offer it free. here
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

well not all os are like ubuntu and sets up grub for everything on your system. but if thats the case when installed then awesome less work. but if it doesnt modifying grub.conf file isnt hard at all.

as for osx on x86. its very possible. i remember stumbling across such a feet while browsing the web. dont remember the site though. anyway i downloaded what i believe to be an image of someones hd (not ilegal cause i own the actual osx tiger cd) dont know if it is special in someway or if its just normal tiger but i put the image on my ipod booted off an ubuntu live cd pluged in the ipod input some command i at the time knew nothing about and reimaged my hd with it and sure enough booted osx. apparently it only works with intel chips that have um.......i think its a set of instructions called sse3 or something like that i forget. and to run osx apps your intel needs rossetta. but yeah i did it just for fun. i dont have rosetta so i mainly had it for bragging rights but im gonna take i off soon.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ic ic, yea...because the new macs that are coming out are no longer going to use the PPC chips from IBM, but they're going to have Intel make their cpu's. articles say that even though the clock speeds are higher, there wont be an immediate performance increase but IBM isn't putting the work into their cpu's and Intel will so thats where they're going. but thats sad :( i have an Athlon 64, lol
there's some macs at my college and they're running some version of OSX and my friend and i were in the pc lab using them the other day, 2GHz cpu's, 1GB ram, first mac i've used since i've actually known HOW to use a computer. lol it was fun...safari is fricken sweet. i love the effects that are built into everything on the mac. but ANYWAYS.. lol what are you going to replace it with? another OS or just storage? i'm downloading the 3.0.2 version of xandros to see if its any different from 3.0.0 lol...ubuntu is alright, but its got its own set of problems. feels a lot like fedora IMHO..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah macs are awesome. i hate ingnorant people who immediately dismiss it as "oh macs suck" when they know nothing about it. it is highly supirior to most OS.
im glad i have the best of all worlds. mac, windows, and i use a certain linux disrto for months then move on to try another. i just wish macs were cheaper.

well my original intent was to free up space and replace debian with gentoo (still havent. been lazy.) but now im considering having 2 linux distros along with windows. gentoo and the other one im undecided yet. gonna look around for an interesting one i havent tried yet. infact i had never heard of xandros. gonna look into it.

on another note here is an interesting OS to be on the look out for.

http://www.skyos.org/

unfortunatly its still in beta and to be a beta tester you need to donate. but this looks so awesome i might go ahead and donate. its for a good cause.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts