Trouble with wireless conection

• DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Berlin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets go step by step. I've installed Suse v10.0. The first problem i need to fix is the wireles internet conection. I've no idea how to configure/fix this. I would be very happy if anyone gives me some advice
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

What model wireless card are you using?
  • DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an 'Atheros AR5005G' Wireless card, it uses the '802.11g' technology.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

DrkWrz wrote:
I have an 'Atheros AR5005G' Wireless card, it uses the '802.11g' technology.

Actually, '802.11g' is a protocol; the chipset (such as Phillips, Arques, Prism, or in your case, Atheros) would be considered the 'technology'.

Atheros should work natively, but read;
/usr/share/doc/packages/wireless-tools/README.firmware
for more information.
  • DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tankx, I'll read that stuff later, about the technology thing, i copied it from the atheros website....
:-)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh, marketing.
  • DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the file, but there wasn't any usefull information, I also updated my system online with Yast but I still don't get the wireless connection to work. I have no idea how should I configure it to get it working.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's entirely possible that the particular 'technology' used in that particular chipset is not supported. Have you read the SuSe HCL? (Hardware compatibility list)?

Perhaps you will require ndiswrapper?
  • DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I think so, but I have no idea how to configure this ndiswrapper, I already installed the package, but I'm stuck. I don't know wath's next. I've already been on http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ to look for lists of supported chipsets and driver links. But I didn't find anything...

Damm, I'm cursed, first time I tried to install linux(mandrake) at my desktop I've got trouble with the graphic card, and I was unable to start the XWindow system. Now that I try to run Suse(because I had this 'bad' expirience with mandrake) on my laptop, the wireless internet connection doesn't work...
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I hate to say it, but that is really the point.

If things worked right off the bat, you wouldn't really learn much ... would you?

The sense of accomplishment and the knowledge you will have gained through making this function will eventually prove invaluable.

It is only through trial and error where we truly learn our way.
I recall when I first started with Unix, there really were not a whole bunch of people one could even *ask* for help. ;)

Work through it, figure out ndiswrapper ... you'll be glad you did.
  • DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I'll try to do it myself. I think i'm getting closer to the solution. 1000 Thankx.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your card is supported by the madwifi driver. General download page can be found at http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/GettingMadwifi. The latest snapshot as of this post can be downloaded directly at http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-trunk-r1203-20051025.tar.gz.

Ndiswrapper should be a last resort to be used only if your chipset does not have a native driver (which yours does) since it is just a wrapper for the Windows driver.
  • DrkWrz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankx 4 your reply, but I alredy fixed it with ndiswrapper, and it works without problems. I'm nor shure if I should change it. However I'm going to look for this madwifi driver. I would be glad if someone could tell me what are the diferences.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Madwifi is a native (compiled on Linux) driver. Ndiswrapper emulates the Windows NDIS API for the Windows driver (which was compiled for Windows). You could think of it like running a Windows app under Wine (a Windows emulator for Linux).

If your current setup works, I'd say leave it until it starts to cause you problems (if ever). I've been using ndiswrapper for my Linksys card which has no native Linux driver, and it's worked fine for me. It was just a real pain to get it working.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

As madwifi is still classified as 'beta' by Sourceforge, you're probably better off using the existing API structure with ndiswrapper. Given the history and development cycle, I would think you would be better off.
Should they repair more than 60% of the 60+ outstanding issues with madwifi submitting in just the last month, you could consider that an option at a later date.
  • Samji
  • Born
  • Born
  • Samji

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have had exactly the same problem as DrkWrz and am also using SUSE 10.0 and also have an Atheros AR5005G wifi card.

I have installed Ndiswrapper and configured it with the driver I copied from c:/windows/atheros, but when it doesn't work. From the terminal, I get this error message:

Quote:
sam@linux:~> su
Password:
linux:/home/sam # modprobe ndiswrapper
linux:/home/sam # dmesg | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
ndiswrapper version 1.2 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver net5211 (,05/26/2005,4.1.2.71) loaded
ndiswrapper: request for irq 0 failed
ndiswrapper (NdisWriteErrorLogEntry:314): log: C000009A, count: 4 (e94c6000), return address: ed436bd6
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_add_pci_device:218): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
ndiswrapper: probe of 0000:09:04.0 failed with error -22
linux:/home/sam #

What's wrong? Thanks in advance.

Samji.
  • bigjig
  • Born
  • Born
  • bigjig

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got exactly the same problem as u had.,..

cant seem to go wireless, Atheros AR5005G wifi card.

I've installed openSuse 10.3 and this card is recognised as an ethernet card. I installed madwifi and ndiswrapper through Yast.

Network Manager would still show me card as an ethernet card.

I have managed to install the windows driver using:-

ndiswrapper -i /windows/c....../driver.inf

I then checked the Network manager, it still shows as an ethernet card. I dont know what I need to do now. I was wondering if u could share how u fixed the problem.

thanks a million.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts