Trying to reinstall Redhat 8.0

• bradkesner
  • bradkesner
  • Loc: Roanoke, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi! I am a complete "Newbie" to LInux. I have what was a WIN 2000 Pro machine and I have attempted to make it a dual boot machine with Redhat 8.0. I reformatted my harddrive and installed Linux Redhat 8.0 first and then Windows 2000 to set up a dual boot ..... mistake # 1. Windows destroyed my linux boot sector. I reformatted the hard drive (and the boot sector) again and this time installed Windows 2000 first (which went fine) and then attempted to reinstall Redhat 8.0. The Linux install would go fine to a point on the first disk and then lock up. I have tried 3 times and the same thing happens.

The only thing that has changed since it was installed okay originally was that a USB 2 card was installed. This card only had drivers for Windows with it. Could it be a USB 2 hardware conflict with Redhat 8.0 that is causing the install to fail? The USB 2 card is by ADS Technologies. I went to their site and did not see any Linux support. Are there generic USB 2 drivers for Redhat 8.0 that would allow me to use this card? Is it even this card that is causing my problem in the first place?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get to know the "Penguin" better. It seems like I am destined not to be able to install Linux for some reason. I am even willing to give up my USB 2 card which I just bought to be able to install Redhat properly on my system. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brad
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the past I have had devices plugged in the USB port while I have installed something and it would in fact cause my computer to lock up. I would recommend trying the install without any USB devices plugged in. Put it back to your configuration that you know worked. I do not see why installing Windows first would cause any problems. That is how I have done it to. I first install Windows, and then Redhat on its own partition.
  • bradkesner
  • bradkesner
  • Loc: Roanoke, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your input. I will disconnect the USB 2 and try again. I will let you know what happens. Is there a download for Redhat Linux that provides USB 2 support?

Brad

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts