Tux for the computer illiterate

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So my parent's are aging baby boomers. Retired, not technically savvy. My mother being the worst. My father is okay at computers and he can figure his way through (Masters in Electrical Engineering and worked 40+ years in the utility automation industry.)

They have an IBM ThinkPad T23 with Windows XP and its time to go. Now I got them on Firefox a while ago, and that works to an extent but they still have sites where they have to switch to IE. That's problem #1, problem #2 is I REALLY want to move them to Linux/Unix/Mac OS X.

Currently I have an old Compaq Evo N610C notebook with 2GB of memory, 7200rpm 100GB HDD and a 2.0Ghz P4 M. Its my old server running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard. Does a bang-up job, but I don't really have a use for it anymore.

Now Mac OS X is most likely out of the question because 1) I have to pay money for it 2) I want to give the the old evo and not a new MacBook 3) I don't want to fight for driver support and the N610C is BIOS-capable only.

So that leaves, a) Keep 03 Server on it b) load linux on it.

Which Linux? They do WebSurfing, E-mail, iTunes, Solitaire. Not hard - but they don't want a hassle. They want to double click on an icon and have it work. Now the biggest problem are the sites that don't like FireFox. IE on Linux?

Also, what flavor? I like Gentoo, but I don't have time to load it. Slackware I like also, but I'm insane. Fedora Core 6? Ubuntu?

SuSe is out of the question after recent events. Then there is also, KDE vs Gnome? Again, I like Blackbox, but I am insane. My parent's aren't.

I also don't have a lot of time, I am so swamped at work I am going nuts.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

uhm...why is suse out of the question? have you experienced KDE in v10.2? because pretty much its just wonderfully fun to use. lol / is easy / etc. i'd prefer using KDE in 10.2 over KDE or GNOME in FC6, but the support for software etc. at this point in time (since FC6 is basically an RTM version and suse is still in beta) is too lacking. you may want to consider xandros. thats a pretty 'windows like' distro of linux..the install is like 5 clicks, lol should have support for all of the things that your parents do. i've recently installed kubuntu and the only problem with that i've had (along with the entire *ubuntu distro) is with my ati video card. and the adept package manager is somewhat unstable but a nice quick sudo apt-get install synaptic makes me tingly inside. so i'd probably suggest kubuntu, suse 10.2 on kde, or xandros..and then fedora. the reason i put fedora last being its the biggest difference visually from windows.
what are the sites that they have problems going to in firefox?
IEs 4 Linux
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
uhm...why is suse out of the question?

M$ got their dirty mits on it. I also went online and it seems SuSE is no longer free.

AnarchY SI wrote:
have you experienced KDE in v10.2? because pretty much its just wonderfully fun to use. lol / is easy / etc. i'd prefer using KDE in 10.2 over KDE or GNOME in FC6, but the support for software etc. at this point in time (since FC6 is basically an RTM version and suse is still in beta) is too lacking.

No I haven't used KDE in a while.

AnarchY SI wrote:
you may want to consider xandros. thats a pretty 'windows like' distro of linux..the install is like 5 clicks, lol should have support for all of the things that your parents do. i've recently installed kubuntu and the only problem with that i've had (along with the entire *ubuntu distro) is with my ati video card. and the adept package manager is somewhat unstable but a nice quick sudo apt-get install synaptic makes me tingly inside. so i'd probably suggest kubuntu, suse 10.2 on kde, or xandros..and then fedora. the reason i put fedora last being its the biggest difference visually from windows.

I just got Ubuntu 6.10 and it installed in only a few clicks as well (not that it mattered because I'm installing it, I can handle hard. Just didn't want the extreme hassle of Gentoo).

AnarchY SI wrote:
what are the sites that they have problems going to in firefox?
IEs 4 Linux

Who knows... They just like to complain. I run into very few sites that are not firefox friendly and when I do, boy do I send them a nasty e-mail.

So far Ubuntu seems easy and not too crappy. So far so good, I'll play with it and see how usable it is for me without too much hacking.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
M$ got their dirty mits on it. I also went online and it seems SuSE is no longer free.

ahh yes, their little agreement.
but uhm, what do you mean about the whole 'suses not free'..? http://www.opensuse.org lol

eh..i dont really like ubuntu. but thats more because with the past 3 versions, none of them have worked out of the box with my video card. i always have to boot into cli and edit the default xorg.conf to use a different video driver before i can get anywhere near a desktop. imho, thats just ridiculous. :]
but as long as you dont have an ati video card it should be smooth sailing methinks..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
but as long as you dont have an ati video card it should be smooth sailing methinks..

As long as you don't have an ATi video card PERIOD, its smooth sailing. Have you ever seen the code those ATi programmers pull out of their @**? It's abhorred!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shrug: i like to play games. it performs very well in winblows, it just needs quite a bit of improvement in linux. lol
but no, i have not seen said code. i would be curious to tho..
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
So my parent's are aging baby boomers. Retired, not technically savvy. My mother being the worst. My father is okay at computers and he can figure his way through (Masters in Electrical Engineering and worked 40+ years in the utility automation industry.)

They have an IBM ThinkPad T23 with Windows XP and its time to go. Now I got them on Firefox a while ago, and that works to an extent but they still have sites where they have to switch to IE. That's problem #1, problem #2 is I REALLY want to move them to Linux/Unix/Mac OS X.

I had a T23, and PCBSD worked like a champ.

http://www.pcbsd.org

It's FreeBSD unix, but solid and functional and works right off the iso CD. :)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
I had a T23, and PCBSD worked like a champ.

http://www.pcbsd.org

It's FreeBSD unix, but solid and functional and works right off the iso CD. :)

Interesting, I think maybe I found something for that T23 then. Ubuntu is working quite nicely on this evo.

ATi needs some work on the driver side, especially the linux drivers.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if you do choose to not go with ubuntu, i would have to agree with daemonguy that PC-BSD is a good distro..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't tried PC-BSD yet, I will soon.

Ubuntu worked 100% out of the box on that Evo like a charm (very surprising).
I've been using it and it's "okay" for me. We'll see what my Parents think.

I am going to try OpenSuSE as well since you showed me they didn't sell all the way out.

I have an IBM T60 that I may want to dual-boot with Windows and Linux. Maybe I'll try OpenSuSE or PC-BSD.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

if/when you try suse, give KDE a go. you could install gnome just to see what they've done with it as its not the typical gnome setup either, but kde has some especially fun features :]
  • shaneb
  • Born
  • Born
  • shaneb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone,
I have a IBM T23 and am trying to get the video drivers to work. I am a network consultant however I deal exclusivly with windows. I'm trying to get Fedora to work on my T23 however it only offers 800x600 res. Considering the fact I have no idea how to change the device driver on Fedora. I am currently running newest version of fedora. I did have Suse on it which worked great accept for the fact that I heard that Fedora was more user friendly and had most of the stuff I already wanted in it. Would someone be so kind as to walk me through fixing this problem?

Thanks for all your help,
Shane
Eagle Mountain, UT
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

System > Administration > Display
enter your root password
Click on the Hardware tab.
If the monitor type is correct, you do not need to change it. If not, click on the Configure button and choose the proper monitor.
If the Video Card displayed is correct, don't change it. If not, Configure..etc. etc.

If you can't find your hardware in the list of what's supported, post back with your system specs and further help will be provided :]
  • shaneb
  • Born
  • Born
  • shaneb

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY,

You are the freaking bomb my friend. My monitor type wasn't there of couse being a ibm laptop however I told it that it was a totally different type of 21" LCD and that allowed me to raise the res. Everything is working great now. WOW what a quick responce also. Thanks for all your help. You ever need some help with an Exchange or Citrix server you let me know.

Shane
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahah awesome, sounds good :]
glad i could help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts