Two distro on a single drive

• linuz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • linuz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I am a newbie in linux and really want help from you experts.
I first installed Red Hat 9 and then Mandrake 9.2 in different ext3 partitions and different swap drives but on a single disk. The bootloader is stored in the first sector i.e., MBR. I now want introduce the Red Hat option in the OS choice manu where there are options only for Mandrake(linux-enterprise,linux-nonfb and linux which are all for linux).
I need to know the kernel image name of the menu. Can you please help me? What is the kernel boot image name of Red Hat linux 9?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

well with grub you would just modify the file /boot/grub.conf i believe. i think there is a chance it might be called something else. i cant tell you right now since im on a windows machine at the moment. but yeah in the file there you should see the choices that come up on boot in which case try to use them as an example to add redhat and also make sure you specify the partition that redhat is on. now incase your using lilo i imagine it doesnt differ too much from grub wouldnt know never used it before but try finding some file in the boot folder equivalent to what i mentioned and modify accordingly. i know this is probably not too helpful but hey it might be of some use to you
  • linuz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • linuz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, thank you. I will try that today.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

the kernel image is stored in the /boot folder on your RH partition so if you just look in there you can find the exact name of the kernel image.
  • linuz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • linuz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes done that already but RH could not boot showing a lot of "FAILED" status and finally it stuck on the line "starting system logger..."
Is there any kernel command that I should append?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out this page: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual ... ation.html

the general format is:
Code: [ Select ]
title=Distro Name kernelversion
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-image-version root=/dev/hda1
initrd /initrd-image-name
  1. title=Distro Name kernelversion
  2. root (hd0,0)
  3. kernel /kernel-image-version root=/dev/hda1
  4. initrd /initrd-image-name

you could also check the RH faqs and see if you can find anything else. you would have to adjust each item as it existed on your computer. hd0,0 = /dev/hda1, hd1,0 = /dev/hdb1, etc.
can you post what you have for the entry?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts