FS Type needed

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, I have a little dillema here I am wondering if someone can help me with.

I need a file system that

- Can RELIABLY and QUICKLY handle large partitions (200GB)
- Can be read AND WRITTEN from both windows and linux

Both NTFS and EXT2 get the thumbs up on the first one, but neither of them get the second one.

What filesystems are there that I can use? FAT32 is out of the question.
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well Knoppix has some good NTFS support, so i wouldnt nessecarily thow NTFS out the window yet.... just a thought :wink:
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

knoppix, and linux-ntfs, can both READ an NTFS partition perfectly well, but have you actually tried writing to an NTFS partitin with knoppix?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, that's a tough one. I usually skirt the issue either through a drive array or with CIFS.

I am sure Samba is not the direction you wanted to head in, however it *is* fairly reliable. more so than an actual windows SMB network. :)

Not sure it wins any speed records though. I will have to give this one some more thought.

I know there are pieces of software which permit NTFS file systems to be mounted via NFS, such as Hummingbird Communications's NFS Maestro.

Hmm..

Cheers, for now.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
I am sure Samba is not the direction you wanted to head in, however it *is* fairly reliable. more so than an actual windows SMB network. :)
I know there are pieces of software which permit NTFS file systems to be mounted via NFS, such as Hummingbird Communications's NFS Maestro.

I'm not talking over a network here, I'm talking my home PC. I have dual boot windows and linux on it, and two hard drives. One has my windows and linux partitions, the other I am planning to use to store data. But at the moment it only has one 2GB FAT16 partition on it and that's not really much use.

There are linux drivers that read NTFS, and windows drivers that read EXT2. But I have not found any linux drivers that will reliably WRITE NTFS, and I have not found any windows dirvers that wil write EXT2.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts