Ubuntu alternative to Notepad2

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be upgrading [read:replacing] my everyday use computer soon & I'm seriously considering a switch to Ubuntu from Windows XP since this system will be a clean slate. It's going to be one or the other.

Almost everything I use has packages for Ubuntu which is a relief, however the second application I can't live without (Notepad2) doesn't appear to have a Linux counterpart.

I came across this thread through searching. I plan on giving that a try, but before I fire up gdm on my headless Ubuntu box via VNC & start trying out editors I'd like to get a list of alternatives that are as similar in functionality to Notepad2 as possible.

The most important aspects of Notepad2 for me are
  1. Configurable syntax highlighting
  2. ability to bookmark lines while working with files (I actually use the old version of Notepad2 because support for this was dropped in the new version)
  3. visual brace/parenthesis matching
  4. line numbers in the gutter
  5. Not sure what it's called, but I like it when the new lines indent matches the last lines indent when I press enter

There's probably other little quirks about it I'd like to have, but those are the most important.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a quick search on my FreeBSD box and gnome has gnotepad.

http://gnotepad.sourceforge.net/about.php
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I tried gedit first and it looks like that's what I'll stick with for the time being. It's alot like Notepad2.

It seems to lack bookmarks, but there's a plugin system, so I bet I can dig something up through that.

One more thing I realized I like, is Notepad2 has Regex support in the find & replace tool. Hopefully I can find a plugin for that too.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favorite editors on *nix are currently KEdit, KWrite, and Kate. They all use the same editor component, but progressively add more features. KEdit is probably the most like Notepad2 of the three.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts