Ubuntu 8.10 & Gnome Low Resolution Issue

• adisegna
  • Born
  • Born
  • adisegna

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently installed Unbuntu 8.10 server on an older Compaq Server (500 Mhz/384 meg)with a ATI 3D Rage IIC PCI (A21) 1M video card. When I load the Gnome desktop my screens resolution is low and does not allow me to change the resolution. I was intructed to edit the xorg.conf file and edit the Screen Section which I tried without any luck. It won't allow me to save the file, permissions error. If I try to do a ctrl alt f1 and log in to the root and run gksudo gedit /etc/x11/xorg.conf it can't find the file. What am I doing wrong and how do I correct the resolution?

Thanks,
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The root password on Ubuntu is hidden. The following site describes how to reset it. That could be your permission problem.

http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/24/34-ub ... e-sudo-way
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you're supposed to edit that file manually.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=690760
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

it can't find the file because it's X11, not x11. capitalization is of extreme importance in linux. if you don't want to use gksudo, you can go to the applications menu, then accessories and then open a terminal, you can enter the command
Code: [ Select ]
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(notice the capital X). either way, it should produce the same result. the sudo should ask you for a password, which would be your user's password. if you choose the route of running the command through the terminal, you'll see a blinking cursor to enter the password, but when you type your password the cursor won't move. this is purposeful and don't think your password isn't being entered.

post back if you have any problems with this process
  • adisegna
  • Born
  • Born
  • adisegna

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I run sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf it ask for my login and password. I get an error, cannot open dispaly.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts