Ubuntu 7.1 Noob - WIFI stopped working after update

• ShoDaymus
  • Born
  • Born
  • ShoDaymus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm completely new to Linux, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I run Ubuntu 7.1 and successfully had my wireless working after my install. A short time later after I did an update, I can no longer connect to any networks. My list of available networks displays everything ok, but I can't connect to any of them.

My network card is a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG

I was reading up on the NDISWrapper, could that work?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I know, ndis wrapper is so that you can use a windows driver on the linux machine. But since you can see the list of available networks, that means that the driver you have is working correctly, so it must be something else.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have a copy of Ubuntu install on any of my machines right now but, if you go up and click on the network and go to the bottom where it says something on the lines of Manage my Connections and select it. This should bring up a window, try connecting through that. I had some problems with Ubuntu from the drop down list because it wouldnt prompt me for a wep key.
  • ShoDaymus
  • Born
  • Born
  • ShoDaymus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked that out and tried manually connecting but still nothing. Im going to try updating the ipw2200 driver again.
  • ShoDaymus
  • Born
  • Born
  • ShoDaymus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well no, I guess that wouldnt work. If the connections show ten the driver is good like what kc0tma mentioned. I have a PCMCIA card I might try
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you check on the ubuntu forum? my friend had a problem in suse where it would see my wireless network but couldn't connect to it... do you use WEP or WPA?

maybe try closing any network connections dialogs you have and running
Code: [ Select ]
sudo ifup wlan0
to see if you can bring the interface up manually, and if not - it may give us more insight as to why. see if that produces any error messages. also, do you get any error messages when you try to connect to the network with a gui tool?

also, as a clarification note, the version of ubuntu would be 7.10 instead of 7.1, lol. i know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but technically there is no ubuntu 7.1 as canonical comes out with a new ubuntu every 4th and 10th month of the year (hence, 7.10 = october, 2007)
:]
  • ShoDaymus
  • Born
  • Born
  • ShoDaymus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, well thanks for the insight. I'll go through it tonight and copy any errors I receive, thanks for the advice!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts